*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Light and airy, yet dense enough to hold up to any hamburger or sandwich. Homemade brioche rolls are easy to make and better than store-bought.
Brioche rolls are one of our favorite types of bread. Whether we use them for buns or as a meal starter, we love a great roll. Kim was so excited to share this brioche rolls recipe with everyone.
These rolls are buttery, tender, and delicious. In fact, during grilling season, I ask Kim to make these all the time. You won’t find a better brioche bun for your pulled pork sandwich. Or, you could use it as a side for ham and beans. I can’t wait for you to try this recipe.
Prepping the Dough:
First, activate the yeast. Combine the water and milk and warming both in the microwave. Try a glass measuring cup, medium power, for 10-second intervals.
Next, add the yeast and allow to sit until frothy. This usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine flours, salt, sugar, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer.
Now, cut the butter into small pieces and use the paddle attachment and mix everything until the butter is incorporated. The mixture will resemble a coarse cornmeal.
After that, just add the yeast mixture and 1 large egg to the flour. Switch to the hook attachment and let your stand mixer knead the dough for 6 to 8 minutes on low speed.
That’s it, the dough part is done. Simply, place the dough in a different greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a clean towel.
Make sure to let it rise for about an hour or until doubled in size.
Making the Brioche Rolls:
After the dough rises, remove it from the bowl and press it down a couple of times to remove the air.
Then, separate it into 8 equals parts and shape the 8 pieces into balls and tuck any folds to the bottom.
Next, place each piece on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
Finally, cover the dough again with a clean towel, and allow it to rise a second time.
Baking the Brioche Rolls:
While waiting, place a small dish of water in the oven.
Then, mix a large egg and water together to make an egg wash. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash onto each bun.
Lastly, place baking dish in a preheated oven, and cook buns for about 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve the brioche buns immediately or allow to cool and serve them later as a sandwich. Either way, they are delicious!
Tips for the Best Brioche Rolls:
- Heating the liquid too much will kill the yeast. I go by the rule of thumb if it burns my finger, it will ruin the yeast.
- Depending on air temperature, it may take longer than an hour for your dough to rise.
- Don’t overwork the dough or it will become too dense.
- Also, if you have any leftover roast beef, these make an awesome sandwich roll for that as well.
If you like this brioche rolls recipe for brioche rolls, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram searching for Berly’s Kitchen!
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen and our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes!
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup All-Purpose flour
- 2 Large Eggs (1 reserved)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter cubed (softened)
- Heat water and milk in the microwave to 110-115 degrees. Add yeast and 1 Tablespoon of sugar.
- Allow yeast mixture to sit until frothy. Usually, this takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
- While waiting for yeast, mix flours, sugar, salt, and butter in the stand mixer using the paddle attachment. The mixture should resemble coarse cornmeal when finished.
- Add one of the eggs and yeast mixture to the flour.
- Change to the dough hook and knead on low speed for 6 to 8 minutes.
- The dough should be smooth and not too sticky. Add additional flour if needed.
- Remove the dough from mixing bowl and place in a separate greased bowl. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap.
- Allow to double in size. This usually takes about an hour.
- Once the dough has risen, remove it from the bowl and press it down to remove the air.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and tuck loose ends underneath. Place each ball (roll) onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone baking sheet.
- Cover rolls with a clean towel again and allow to rise a second time.
- In the meantime, place an oven-safe bowl of water in an oven preheated to 400 degrees. There should be enough water to create steam.
- Make an egg wash by mixing the remaining egg and 1 to 2 Tablespoons of water.
- After the rolls have risen a second time, use a pastry brush to apply the egg wash to each bun.
- Place the rolls in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!