Light and airy, yet dense enough to hold up to any hamburger or sandwich. Homemade brioche rolls are easy to make and better than store-bought.
Brioche rolls are one of our favorite types of bread. Whether we use them for buns or as a meal starter, we love a great roll. Kim was so excited to share this brioche rolls recipe with everyone.
These rolls are buttery, tender, and delicious. In fact, during grilling season, I ask Kim to make these all the time. You won’t find a better brioche bun for your pulled pork sandwich. Or, you could use it as a side for ham and beans. I can’t wait for you to try this recipe.
Prepping the Dough:
- First, activate the yeast. Combine the water and milk and warming both in the microwave. Try a glass measuring cup, medium power, for 10-second intervals.
- Next, add the yeast and allow to sit until frothy. This usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flours, salt, sugar, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Now, cut the butter into small pieces and use the paddle attachment and mix everything until the butter is incorporated. The mixture will resemble a coarse cornmeal.
- After that, just add the yeast mixture and 1 large egg to the flour. Switch to the hook attachment and let your stand mixer knead the dough for 6 to 8 minutes on low speed.
- That’s it, the dough part is done. Simply, place the dough in a different greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a clean towel.
- Make sure to let it rise for about an hour or until doubled in size.
Making the Brioche Rolls:
- After the dough rises, remove it from the bowl and press it down a couple of times to remove the air.
- Then, separate it into 8 equals parts and shape the 8 pieces into balls and tuck any folds to the bottom.
- Next, place each piece on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Finally, cover the dough again with a clean towel, and allow it to rise a second time.
Baking the Brioche Rolls:
- While waiting, place a small dish of water in the oven.
- Then, mix a large egg and water together to make an egg wash. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash onto each bun.
- Lastly, place baking dish in a preheated oven, and cook buns for about 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve the brioche buns immediately or allow to cool and serve them later as a sandwich. Either way, they are delicious!
Tips for the Best Brioche Rolls:
- Heating the liquid too much will kill the yeast. I go by the rule of thumb if it burns my finger, it will ruin the yeast.
- Depending on air temperature, it may take longer than an hour for your dough to rise.
- Don’t overwork the dough or it will become too dense.
- Also, if you have any leftover roast beef, these make an awesome sandwich roll for that as well.
If you like this brioche rolls recipe for brioche rolls, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram searching for Berly’s Kitchen!
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup All-Purpose flour
- 2 Large Eggs (1 reserved)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter cubed (softened)
- Heat water and milk in the microwave to 110-115 degrees. Add yeast and 1 Tablespoon of sugar.
- Allow yeast mixture to sit until frothy. Usually, this takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
- While waiting for yeast, mix flours, sugar, salt, and butter in the stand mixer using the paddle attachment. The mixture should resemble coarse cornmeal when finished.
- Add one of the eggs and yeast mixture to the flour.
- Change to the dough hook and knead on low speed for 6 to 8 minutes.
- The dough should be smooth and not too sticky. Add additional flour if needed.
- Remove the dough from mixing bowl and place in a separate greased bowl. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap.
- Allow to double in size. This usually takes about an hour.
- Once the dough has risen, remove it from the bowl and press it down to remove the air.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and tuck loose ends underneath. Place each ball (bun) onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone baking sheet.
- Cover buns with a clean towel again and allow to rise a second time.
- In the meantime, place an oven-safe bowl of water in an oven preheated to 400 degrees. There should be enough water to create steam.
- Make an egg wash by mixing the remaining egg and 1 to 2 Tablespoons of water.
- After the buns have risen a second time, use a pastry brush to apply the egg wash to each bun.
- Place the buns in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!