*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Our mouthwatering slow cooker BBQ chicken features tender, slow cooked chicken slathered in a sweet barbecue sauce!
If you’ve been following us for a while, you might know that we lived in an apartment that didn’t allow grills.
Whenever we wanted something barbecued or grilled, we had to take a different approach.
While this slow cooker BBQ chicken sandwich isn’t technically barbecued, we managed to infuse it with a ton of BBQ flavor!
Our barbecue chicken sandwich combines juicy, tender chicken with hickory and brown sugar barbecue sauce.
It doesn’t get much better than that if you don’t have a smoker. Best of all, the chicken is perfectly cooked and soaks up all that sweet sauce.
When paired with your favorite coleslaw, it’s a meal you don’t want to miss.
How to make slow cooker BBQ chicken:
First, start by placing the chicken breast into the slow cooker. Next, sprinkle the seasonings onto the meat.
Afterward, use your fingers to massage the spices into the chicken. Now, carefully pour the broth into the cooker.
Be sure not wash the spices off the chicken. Then, cover the slow cooker with the lid.
Last, set the machine on high and let the poultry cook for 4-5 hours or until the chicken is done.
That’s it, once the meat is cooked, your slow cooker BBQ chicken is basically done!
Shred the chicken with 2 forks and place the meat on the buns. Add the BBQ sauce and enjoy.
Serve the dish with potato chips, coleslaw, potato salad or any other sides you love.
Kim and I hope you like the recipe and wish you all the best 🙂
- We like to use chicken breasts for our sandwiches, but feel free to use chicken thighs if you prefer.
- You can add 1-tablespoon of liquid smoke to the chicken while it’s cooking. Doing so, will add a nice smoky flavor to the BBQ chicken.
- To easily shred the chicken, try placing it in a stand mixer and use the paddle attachment. The chicken will shred in a minute or so with minimal mess.
- If you don’t like brown sugar flavored barbecue sauce, choose your favorite! There are tons to pick from.
If you like this barbecue chicken sandwich recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram searching for Berly’s Kitchen!
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 2 Lbs. Chicken Breast, (32 ounces)
- 4 Tablespoons Barbecue Chicken or Pork Rub, (Weber Seasonings or your choice)
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- 16 Ounces Barbecue Sauce, (Sweet Baby Ray's or your choice)
- 8 Deli Style Hamburger or Onion Buns
- First, remove the chicken from the package and place it into the slow cooker.
- Next, add the barbecue rub. You can sprinkle it over the chicken without massaging it into the meat.
- Then, add the chicken broth, cover the ingredients, and let them cook on high heat for approximately four to five hours.
- After the chicken cooks, use a pair of tongs to shred the chicken while it sits in the crock-pot.
- Last, remove the chicken and strain it before placing it on the bun. Top the sandwich with barbecue sauce. Serve it with sides and your favorite condiments.
The calorie count listed is an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of a 4-ounce chicken sandwich with 2-ounces of BBQ sauce. Actual calories will vary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 2 Ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 442Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 233mgSodium: 400mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 75g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.