Crockpot Chicken Nachos are the perfect easy appetizer for a crowd or as a fun and filling dinner option. Tender, juicy shredded chicken mixed with flavorful salsa over crispy tortilla chips and covered in melty cheese is a combination everyone will be clamoring for. It’s completely customizable and so easy to throw together!
These crockpot chicken nachos are just one of our easy go-to slow cooker recipes. We also love Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip, Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteaks, Crockpot Jalapeño Corn Dip, and Crockpot Salisbury Steak.
Crockpot Chicken Nachos
Looking for an easy appetizer? How about a delicious dinner even the kids will get excited over? Need something for potluck? We’ve got you covered.
Crockpot Chicken Nachos are simple yet so delicious. Toss the chicken in the crockpot for a few hours, throw in some salsa and seasonings, and shred. Cover a pan of tortilla chips, top with melted cheese and any other toppings you love and that’s it!
You can completely customize the type of salsa, the seasoning blend, and the toppings. Experiment with flavors or stick to your faves.
This dish travels well and you can assemble the nachos on a large tray after you make it to your party or as individual servings. You can even make the chicken in advance and warm it up when ready to serve!
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Nachos
- Place the boneless chicken breasts in a 6 or 7-quart slow cooker in an even layer. Sprinkle generously with taco seasoning or chicken seasoning and pour in your salsa.
- Cook the chicken on High for 2-3 hours or Low for 5-6. Depending on how thick or thin the chicken breasts are you may need to adjust the cook time. Once cooked through (the chicken should register 165°F at its thickest part when inserted with an instant read meat thermometer) it will shred easily. Use two forks to shred the chicken and combine it with the salsa.
- Place parchment paper on two baking sheets and add an even layer of tortilla chips on both. Cover with shredded chicken then top with shredded cheese. Allow the cheese to melt, or to speed up the process, place the nachos in a 350°F oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Top off your nachos with your favorite toppings. Diced tomatoes, avocados, pickled jalapenos, sour cream, or guacamole are delicious options! Serve straight from the baking sheets or assemble on individual plates for smaller servings and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Use any variety of salsa you prefer. Hot, medium, mild, chunky, thin, or cantina style. About 1 cup of salsa per pound of chicken has been a tried and true ratio.
- Feel free to adjust the taco seasoning to your desired taste. A 1-ounce packet works well for 2-3 pounds of chicken but you can always add more or less.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs may be used in place of the chicken breasts.
- We’ve assembled the nachos on a baking sheet in the photos to show the best way to serve a crowd. They can also be assembled on individual plates.
- Shredded chicken is amazing for tacos but Slow Cooker Taco Meat, shredded beef, or seasoned ground turkey also work great!
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Store the shredded chicken and salsa mixture separately from the tortilla chips. The crockpot chicken will stay fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days.
Reheating: When ready to enjoy seconds, reheat the chicken on the stove or in the microwave until warmed through, and assemble as above.
Like This Recipe?
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- Add the chicken breasts to a 6 or 7-quart slow cooker in an even layer. Sprinkle with the taco seasoning. Then pour on the salsa.3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts1 ounce taco seasoning24 ounces salsa
- Cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or on LOW for 5-6 hours. Adjust the times if needed if the chicken breasts are very thick or thin. The chicken will shred easily when cooked through and will register 165°F in the thickest parts when inserted with an instant read thermometer.
- After the chicken is cooked, use two forks to shred it and combine with the salsa. Place parchment paper on two baking sheets then add a layer of tortilla chips. Add some of the shredded chicken followed by a cup of the shredded cheese. Allow the cheese to melt, or place in the oven on 350°F for 5-7 minutes.18 ounces tortilla chips2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Top with your favorite toppings such as diced tomatoes, avocados, pickled jalapenos, sour cream, or guacamole. The nachos can also be assembled on individual plates and served as smaller servings if desired.Toppings of your choice
- See post for storage options.