An easy philly cheesesteak recipe made in your slow cooker with step-by-step directions and your choice of either sliced Provolone or cheddar cheese sauce.
As you may or may not know, we love slow cooker sandwiches. In fact, our brown sugar BBQ chicken sandwich is one of my favorites.
For today's recipe, we're sharing Kim's slow cooker adaptation of a philly cheesesteak sandwich. While it might not be authentic, it's still super tasty! So, shall we get started?
How to make a our Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak recipe:
First, grab your roast and season both sides of it with salt and pepper. Afterward, place it into your crockpot.
Next, gently pour the beef broth into the cooker, along with the onion soup mix, and Worcestershire sauce.
Cover the pot with a lid and set the it to cook on high heat for 4 hours. Feel free to slice the onions and peppers while the meat cooks. You can always store them in the fridge until needed.
After that, let the roast cook for 4 hours. When the time has passed, toss in the sliced onions and peppers.
Then, cover the slow cooker again and let everything cook for another 30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 350° F.
Once the vegetables are done, you can shred the meat using 2 forks. Grab a hoagie bun and cut it in half lengthwise.
Butter the sides of the bun and lay it on a baking sheet. Place it into the oven to toast for about 4 minutes.
Last, remove the baking sheet from the oven, add the roast, peppers, onions, and cheese. Place the sandwich back into the oven for about 3 minutes or until the cheese melts. Remove and serve.
That's it, your philly cheese steak recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the sandwich and wish you all the best 🙂
Tips for Your Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Recipe:
- We used an inexpensive Chuck roast for our recipe. However, you don't have to. In fact, thin sliced sirloin or rib eye steak makes a tender philly cheesesteak. With that being said, I would reduce the cook time.
- If your sandwich is a little dry, then put those drippings to work. Simply strain the liquid from the crockpot or slow cooker and use them as a dipping sauce.
- Provolone and Cheese Whiz seem to be the standards when it comes to this classic sub. However, use whatever cheese you want. It's your dinner, enjoy it.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 2.5 pounds beef roast, (We used chuck roast.)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth, (enough for the liquid to come halfway up the roast)
- 1 ounce onion soup mix, (one packet)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1.5 cups green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup white onion, sliced
- 8 hoagie rolls
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 ounce provolone cheese, or cheese sauce
- Season both sides of the chuck roast with salt and pepper, then place the roast into a large slow cooker. We used a 7-quart size.2.5 pounds beef roastSalt and pepper
- Add the beef broth, onion soup mix, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.3 cups low-sodium beef broth1 ounce onion soup mix1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- After 4 hours, remove the lid and add the bell peppers and onion. Cover again and cook an additional 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.1.5 cups green bell peppers1 cup red bell peppers1 cup white onion
- When the roast is finished, use two forks or a pair of tongs to shred it into pieces. Butter the insides of the hoagie buns and toast in a preheated over for 5-10 minutes or until they’re golden brown.8 hoagie rolls8 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Top one half of the toasted buns with shredded beef, onions, bell peppers, and your choice of cheese. Toast again for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese if desired. Serve hot.8 ounce provolone cheese