An easy philly cheesesteak recipe made in your slow cooker with step-by-step directions and your choice of either sliced Provolone or cheddar cheese sauce.
As you may or may not know, we love slow cooker sandwiches. In fact, our brown sugar BBQ chicken sandwich is one of my favorites.
For today’s recipe, we’re sharing Kim’s slow cooker adaptation of a philly cheesesteak sandwich. While it might not be authentic, it’s still super tasty!
So, shall we get started?
How to make a philly cheesesteak?
First, grab your roast and season both sides of it with salt and pepper. Afterward, place it into your crockpot.
Next, gently pour the beef broth into the cooker, along with the onion soup mix, and Worcestershire sauce.
Cover the pot with a lid and set the it to cook on high heat for four (4) hours.
Feel free to slice the onions and peppers while the meat cooks. You can always store them in the fridge until needed.
After that, let the roast cook for four (4) hours. When the time has passed, toss in the sliced onions and peppers.
Then, cover the slow cooker again and let everything cook for another thirty (30) minutes. Preheat your oven to 350° F.
Once the vegetables are done, you can shred the meat using two (2) forks. Grab a hoagie bun and cut it in half lengthwise.
Butter the sides of the bun and lay it on a baking sheet. Place it into the oven to toast for about four (4) minutes.
Last, remove the baking sheet from the oven, add the crockpot roast, peppers, onions, and cheese.
Place the sandwich back into the oven for about three (3) minutes or until the cheese melts. Remove and serve.
That’s it, your philly cheese steak recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the sandwich and wish you all the best 🙂
Tips for Your Philly cheesesteak:
- We used an inexpensive Chuck roast for our recipe. However, you don’t have to. In fact, thin sliced sirloin or rib eye steak makes a tender philly cheesesteak. With that being said, I would reduce the cook time.
- If your sandwich is a little dry, then put those drippings to work. Simply strain the liquid from the crockpot or slow cooker and use them as a dipping sauce.
- Provolone and Cheese Whiz seem to be the standards when it comes to this classic sub. However, use whatever cheese you want. It’s your dinner, enjoy it.
If you like our philly cheesesteak sandwich recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram searching for Berly’s Kitchen!
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 2.5 Lbs. Beef Roast, (we used Chuck roast)
- Salt and Pepper to taste, (for the roast)
- 3 Cups Beef Broth, (enough for the liquid to come halfway up the roast)
- 1 Ounce Onion Soup Mix, (one ((1)) packet)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1.5 Cups Green Bell Peppers, (sliced)
- 1 Cup Red Bell Peppers, (sliced)
- 1 Cup White Onion , (sliced)
- 8 Large Hoagie Rolls
- 8 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 8 Ounces Provolone Cheese or Cheese Sauce, (cut into half ounce slices)
- Season both sides of the chuck roast with salt and pepper, then place the roast into a large slow cooker. We used a 7-quart size.
- Add the beef broth, onion soup mix, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, remove the lid and add the bell peppers and onion. Cover again and cook an additional 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- When the roast is finished, use two forks or a pair of tongs to shred it into pieces. Butter the insides of the hoagie buns and toast in a preheated over for 5-10 minutes or until they’re golden brown.
- Top one half of the toasted buns with shredded beef, onions, bell peppers, and your choice of cheese. Toast again for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese if desired. Serve hot.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients and serving size of one (1) philly cheesesteak sandwich. Actual calories will vary. The leftovers can be stored in a sealed container, in your fridge, for up three (3) days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8 Ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 581Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 14gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 3417mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 45g