Craving a warm slow cooked dinner? Then try our crockpot Salisbury steak. Slow simmered beef patties with a savory mushroom gravy!
Sometimes you just crave a slow cooked meal. However, not everyone wants to spend all day standing over a hot stove.
On days like that, it's great to have a slow cooker. Today's crockpot Salisbury steak is the perfect recipe for a lazy day.
It features tender beef simmered in a yummy mushroom and onion gravy. Sounds good right? Well, let's get started then!
How to make crockpot Salisbury steak?
First, start prepping the ingredients. Dice the veggies, open the soup, you get the idea.
After that, grab a large mixing bowl and toss in the ground beef, cracked egg, breadcrumbs, diced onion, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper.
Next, use your hands or a spoon to mix everything together. Form the mixture into four (4) equal sized patties. Place them on a plate.
If you look at the photo, each patty kind of looks like a mini meatloaf.
Afterward, place your skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Once it's warm, cook the Salisbury steaks for about five (5) minutes on each side.
This will help them stay together as they cook in your crockpot.
Meanwhile, in a another large mixing bowl, combine the cream of mushroom soup, packets of au jus and brown gravy, dried thyme, and beef broth.
I recommend using a whisk to blend everything together.
Then, grab your crockpot and layer in the following ingredients in this order: half the mushrooms and onions, the Salisbury steaks, the remaining mushrooms and onions, and finally pour the broth mixture over everything.
Last, place the lid on the crockpot and let the Salisbury steaks cook on high for two and half (2.5) to three (3) hours.
Once done, serve them with sides of your choice. That's it, your crockpot Salisbury steaks are done!
Kim and I hope you enjoy this recipe and wish you all the best 🙂
- You can use the low heat setting on your slow cooker. With that being said, it will take four (4) to five (5) hours to fully cook.
- I do not recommend skipping the skillet step; because, the crockpot Salisbury steaks might fall apart in the slow cooker.
- For the stove-top version of this dish, checkout our homemade Salisbury steak recipe.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 1 pound ground beef, (We used 93/7.)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup white onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, or adjust to tastes
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, or another neutral tasting oil
- 10 ½ ounces cream of mushroom soup, canned or homemade
- 1 ounce au jus mix, 1 packet
- .87 ounce brown gravy mix, 1 packet
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium beef broth, or water
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme, or adjust to taste
- 1 cup white onion, sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, onion, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Form the mixture into 4 equal sized, oval shaped patties.1 pound ground beef1 large egg⅓ cup breadcrumbs¼ cup white onion1 tablespoon tomato paste1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce1 teaspoon Italian seasoning½ teaspoon kosher salt½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the cooking oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook the patties for 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Set the steaks aside on a plate.1 tablespoon canola oil
- In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the cream of mushroom soup, au jus mix, brown gravy mix, broth, and dried thyme. Set aside.10 ½ ounces cream of mushroom soup1 ounce au jus mix.87 ounce brown gravy mix1 ½ cups low-sodium beef broth¾ teaspoon dried thyme
Assembly and Cooking
- Layer half the sliced onions and mushrooms evenly over the bottom of the crockpot. Place the steak patties on top of the onions and mushrooms in an even layer. Next, top with the remaining onions and mushrooms. Last, pour the gravy mixture over everything.8 ounces fresh mushrooms1 cup white onion
- Add the lid to the crockpot and refrain from opening the lid while the food cooks. Cook the Salisbury steaks on high for 2 ½ to 3 hours or low for 4 to 5 hours.
- Serve the steak and gravy hot over mashed potatoes.