This homemade taco seasoning is a savory blend of spices featuring all your Tex-Mex favorites like chili powder, garlic and onion powders, and many more!
Most of us can’t and its because we aren’t trained chefs. We also don’t have access to the same quality food, equipment, and materials many restaurants use.
Now, with this recipe, you can at least recreate a quality taco seasoning mix at home. Let’s get started!
How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning:
Place the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, chipotle, cayenne, and pepper in an airtight container or jar and make sure to tighten the lid. Shake to mix!
If you don’t a jar, use a small bowl with a spoon or whisk to mix the ingredients. Store it in an airtight container.
This recipe makes enough to use for several servings. That’s all there is to making it at home.
As you can see, our homemade taco seasoning is easy to make. The best part is that it is versatile so that you can adjust it to your family’s tastes.
All you need are a few spices, an airtight container and five minutes to make a taco seasoning. I’d love to know what you think or how you’ve changed it to make it your own!
Why is my homemade taco seasoning darker in color?
The same goes for how spicy the taco seasoning will be. Some chili powder brands tend to be hotter than others. Just keep that in mind. I recommend using your favorite brand, that way you’re already familiar with the heat.
How can I change up the flavor of taco seasoning?
How long does homemade taco seasoning last?
What if you don’t have all the ingredients? Are there substitutions?
- ½ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pinch ground black pepper
- Place all spices together in an airtight container and tighten the lid. Shake to mix!½ cup chili powder1 tablespoon garlic powder1 tablespoon onion powder1 tablespoon ground cumin2 teaspoons paprika1 teaspoon dried oregano1 teaspoon kosher salt¼ teaspoon chipotle⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepperpinch ground black pepper
- Adjust flavors to taste.
- Store in an airtight container for up to six months.