Our Flat Iron Steak Recipe is quick and delicious made with a custom blend of seasonings, seared to perfection in a flat iron skillet. It makes for an excellent weeknight dinner option.
A few years ago, we lived in a condo community that didn’t allow grills. At first, this was kind of frustrating because we loved to grill outdoors.
This flat iron steak recipe is one of those examples that prove you don’t have to use an outdoor grill to make a perfectly seared steak.
Combine a little know-how, with a custom seasoning mix, and melted butter and you’ve got yourself a pretty amazing steak. Pair it with a batch of baked sweet potato fries or oven baked home fries, and you have a full meal!
How to make our flat iron steak recipe:
Before we get started, let me start off with a little note about the steak. In the recipe, we have it listed as a 1.5 pound steak or steaks.
When we originally made this recipe, that’s what we used. Fast forward three years, and we decided to give the post an update with new pictures and a step-by-step video.
It just so happens that we are living in a different part of the country now, and the only flat iron steak available was just barely over half a pound. That’s what’s used in the photos and video.
The recipe stayed the same, except the size of the steak which can be adjusted. You just won’t use as much of the seasoning.
Now, back to how to make our flat iron steak recipe! 🙂
First, in a small bowl combine the seasoned salt, Italian seasonings, black pepper, garlic powder, and the onion powder. Give them a quick mix with a fork to blend the seasonings.
Next, liberally season both sides of each steak, making sure to use ALL the spice mix (assuming you’re using the full 1.5 pounds of meat).
Once the butter is melted, add the steaks to pan. Cook them for 5-6 minutes on each side or to your desired doneness.
Last, when the steaks are done, let them rest for 10-minutes then serve them with a side of your choice.
Is flat iron steak tender?
Yes, flat iron steak is a tender cut of steak. Look for a piece that has nice marbling or thin ribbons of fat running throughout. As the steak cooks, the fat melts and keeps it moist and adds flavor.
Are flat iron steak and flank steak the same?
No, flat iron steak and flank steak are taken from different areas of the cow. A flat iron steak is cut from the top blade (shoulder) of a cow. A flank steak is cut from the stomach or abdominal area.
Can another cut of beef be used for this recipe?
Yes, absolutely! This seasoning and cooking method in this recipe works well for any cut steak. We love it on sirloin, New York strip, fajita meat, ribeye, and even filet.
If there happens to be a seasoning you aren’t crazy about, we have an amazing beer marinade that works well, too.
Flat Iron Steak Recipe Tips:
- For an extra flavorful steak, apply the seasoning mix then place the steaks in your fridge for 30-minutes to rest before cooking.
- You’ll know the skillet is hot enough when the butter begins to clarify (separate) in the pan.
- Create a marinade by simply adding 1/2-cup of olive oil and 1/4-cup of red wine vinegar to the seasoning mix. Submerge the steaks in the marinade in your fridge for 30-minutes before cooking.
- Believe it or not, beef pairs well with cabbage. So, if you’re looking for a side dish to compliment this steak, then consider our fried cabbage.
Don’t forget to check out our Flat Iron Steak web story!
- 1.5 Lbs. Strip Steak, (cut of your choice)
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Seasoned Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- Combine the salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl.
- Season the steak(s) on all sides with the seasoning mix; be sure to use all of the spices.
- Preheat an iron skillet over medium heat, and melt the butter in the pan. Add the steaks to the hot pan. Cook for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or to your desired doneness.
- Allow the steaks to rest for 10-minutes then serve with sides.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 4 to 6 ounces of steak. Actual calories will vary. Storage is not recommended.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 4 Ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 820mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 30g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.