*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
A quick, delicious flat iron steak recipe made with a custom blend of seasonings, seared to perfection in a flat iron skillet. It makes for an excellent weeknight dinner option.
Kim and I live in a community that doesn’t allow grills. At first, this was kind of frustrating because I love to grill outdoors.
However, the living situation did teach me how to create delicious burgers and steaks using my regular cook-top.
This flat iron steak recipe is one of those examples that prove you don’t have to use an outdoor grill to make a perfectly seared steak.
Combine a little know-how, with a custom seasoning mix, and melted butter and you’ve got yourself a pretty amazing steak.
How to Make a Flat Iron Steak:
- First, in a small bowl combine the seasoned salt, Italian seasonings, black pepper, garlic powder, and the onion powder. Give them a quick mix with a fork to blend the seasonings.
- Next, liberally season both sides of each steak, making sure to use ALL the spice mix.
- Now, preheat a flat iron skillet or griddle over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Then, once the butter is melted, add the steaks to pan. Cook them for 5-6 minutes on each side or to your desired doneness.
- Last, when the steaks are done, let them rest for 10-minutes then serve them with a side of your choice.
Flat Iron Steak Recipe Tips:
- For an extra flavorful steak, apply the seasoning mix then place the steaks in your fridge for 30-minutes to rest before cooking.
- You’ll know the skillet is hot enough when the butter begins to clarify (separate) in the pan.
- Create a marinade by simply adding 1/2-cup of olive oil and 1/4-cup of red wine vinegar to the seasoning mix. Submerge the steaks in the marinade in your fridge for 30-minutes before cooking.
- Believe it or not, beef pairs well with cabbage. So, if you’re looking for a side dish to compliment this steak, then consider our fried cabbage.
Flat Iron Steak Recipe
- 1.5 Lbs. Strip Steak (cut of your choice)
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Seasoned Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- First, combine the salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl and mix them together.
- Next, season the steaks with the seasoning mix, be sure to use all of the spices.
- Now, preheat an iron skillet over medium heat and melt the butter in the pan.
- Then, add the steaks to the hot pan and let them cook for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or to your desired doneness.
- Last, let the flat iron steaks rest for 10-minutes then serve with sides.