*This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a small commission from the sale if you purchase from the affiliate link.
Homemade Hamburgers are flavorful, beef burgers, and have pieces of caramelized onion in each bite. We think this is the best homemade beef hamburger recipe out there!
Homemade hamburgers are one of the most common foods made during the summer months. However, we like to cook burgers year round. Why wait for summer to enjoy a great burger?
It seems like a lot of people have a favorite burger recipe, and they usually make that same one time and time again.
One of the things that sets John’s homemade burgers apart from the rest are how juicy they are. When I started making his burgers years ago, he taught me his secret to juicy burgers. I’ll share it with you in the “tips” section below.
For now, let’s chat about how to make John’s homemade hamburger recipe.
Ingredients Needed for Homemade Hamburgers:
Here are the exact ingredients we use for our hamburger recipe every, single time! The toppings may vary slightly, but the burgers stay the same.
- Ground Beef: We like to use 75% lean 25% fat for this recipe.
- White or Spanish Onion: This needs to be finely diced, because it’s going into the ground beef. Onion adds a touch of sweetness and beautiful flavor when it caramelizes.
- Ground Mustard: Adds a nice flavor to the meat.
- Smoked Paprika: Adds a beautiful smokiness to the meat without adding heat.
- Seasoned Salt and Black Pepper: Standard seasoning that we use on a ton of meat and meat dishes. Seasoned salt adds a slightly different flavor profile than table salt.
- Garlic Powder and Onion Powder: Incorporates the flavor of garlic and onion directly into the meat and adds so much flavor.
- Liquid Smoke: Adds a grill-like, smokey flavor.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Adds a rich, oniony flavor when cooked.
- Buns, butter, and your favorite toppings: We like to brush the buns with butter and add lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, and of course, cheese. Don’t forget the ketchup, mayo, and mustard!
How to Make the Best Homemade Hamburgers:
- Start by preheating a non-stick skillet over low-medium heat.
- Place the meat, onions, spices, liquid smoke, and Worcestershire Sauce in a medium bowl, and mix until well combined.
- Separate the mixture into two separate balls (about 1/4 pound each). Lay each ball between two pieces of parchment, and press flat into circle patties.
- Remove the patties from the parchment, and place in the hot skillet. For a well-done burger, cook for 7-8 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the pan, and let rest on a cutting board while preparing the buns.
- Place 1/2 tablespoon of butter into a skillet over low heat, and allow it to melt. Add one bun, and allow the bun to toast. Remove, and set aside. Repeat with the second bun.
- Build the burgers using your favorite toppings and condiments.
Tips and Variations for Making Homemade Hamburgers:
- Don’t want to use beef? Use chicken or turkey instead. It’s easy to switch this up, and use your favorite meat.
- Make sure the burger doesn’t dry out: It’s important to use a ground beef that’s higher in fat content. The fat will melt into the beef which adds moisture and flavor. Additionally, don’t press on the patty while it cooks. Pressing pushes all the juices out into the pan, and they can’t be put back into the patty. Let the patties rest before digging in! More of the juices will stay in the burger if it sits for a few minutes before it’s eaten.
- Don’t like one of the spices: Omit it. It’s okay to switch out the spices or leave one or two out completely.
- Use your favorite cheese: We like to use American or cheddar, but feel free to use your favorite.
- 75/25 Beef Not Your Thing? Substitute it with a lower fat beef, like an 80/20 or 85/15.
- Build the Best Burger: I promised John I would mention this. Here’s his recommendation for building the best burger to reduce bun sogginess. Start with the bottom, grilled bun and add your favorite condiments. Next, add the lettuce. On top of the lettuce add the tomato. The meat patty follows along with cheese of your choice. Place onions and pickles on top of the cheese. Add more condiments, if desired and finish off with the top grilled bun. Voila!
Need More Burger and Sandwich Ideas?
Maybe these will help out!
- Pulled Pork Sandwich
- Pot Roast Sandwich
- Ultimate BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger
- Brown Sugar Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Sandwich
- Zesty Italian Chicken Sandwich
Easy Homemade Hamburgers
- 8 oz ground beef or meat of your choice (We used 75% lean 25% fat for this recipe.)
- 1/8 cup finely diced white or Spanish onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 slices of your favorite cheese (optional)
- 2 hamburger buns
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- Sliced pickles
- Sliced onions
- Sliced tomatoes
- 2 slices of your favorite cheese optional
- Preheat a non-stick skillet on low-medium heat.
- Place meat, onions, spices, liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce in a medium bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Separate mixture into two equal amounts and roll each into a ball. Each ball should weigh about 1/4 lbs.
- Lay each ball between two pieces of parchment paper and flatten into circle patties.
- Remove patties from parchment paper and place in hot skillet. Preheating skillet will give a nice crust on the burgers, but don’t let it get too hot, or the meat will burn.
- Cook for 7-8 minutes on each side for a well-done interior.
- Remove from pan and let rest on a plate or cutting board while you grill the buns.
- Melt 1/2 Tablespoon of butter in skillet or saucepan on medium heat. Place hamburger bun in pan and toast until it reaches desired brownness.
- Repeat with the second bun.
- Place condiments, toppings and hamburger patty on the bun. Feel free to add a couple of olives as garnish if you’d like.
- Enjoy! Happy Eating!