*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
This Meatball Marinara Sub Sandwich Recipe combines perfectly seasoned, sirloin meatballs, savory marinara sauce, and shredded mozzarella cheese nestled in soft hoagie rolls.
Sometimes it’s difficult for families to decide exactly what to make for dinner, especially if there’s a picky eater involved. Will it be pizza, pasta, burgers, sandwiches, or something else? With this meatball marinara sub sandwich recipe, the entire family can compromise on dinner and still have a little of his or her favorite dish.
These sandwiches blend a few dinner favorites. There are the meatballs from spaghetti and meatballs, sauce and cheese from pizza, and bread from a sandwich. How can you go wrong? These meatball subs are sure to please!
When John and I started talking about this recipe, we thought it would be a good idea to make it in the slow cooker. However, at the last minute, John decided to try it on the stovetop instead, and it turned out beautifully. We also chose to use sirloin instead of an 80/20 or an 85/15 ground beef or ground chuck, because the sirloin was a leaner cut.
Although we have a couple great recipes for tomato sauce, this time we used a jarred variety in order to keep this recipe semi-homemade, quick, and easy. Regardless of how you make it, this meatball marinara sub sandwich recipe is versatile and would taste great with a homemade marinara sauce.
Just as the marinara sauce can be changed out, the cheese can also be switched to your favorite. The mozzarella was an obvious choice for us as we were planning this recipe. Many Italian recipes use mozzarella as its main cheese, and why not? It’s soft, flavorful, melts well, and is ooey gooey. Mozzarella is the perfect choice for this sandwich.
From start to finish, the sandwiches are ready to eat in about 45 minutes after prep time. They are best eaten immediately. However, you decide to make the meatball marinara sub sandwich recipe, we hope you enjoy them.
Meatball Marinara Sub Sandwich Recipe
- 1 Pound 90/10 Ground Sirloin
- 2 Jars Pasta Sauce (24 ounces)
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 Cup Seasoned Breadcrumbs or Saltine Crackers
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 4 Hoagie Buns
- 4 to 6 Ounces Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the sirloin, egg, breadcrumbs, and Italian seasoning. Roll the mixture into 1 ounce balls (should make approximately 16).
- Place the meatballs on the baking sheet and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, combine the pasta sauce and baked meatballs. Let simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut each hoagie bun in half lengthwise and hollow out some of the bread. After the meatballs simmer, place them into the hoagies and top with additional sauce and shredded cheese.
- Serve immediately.