Italian Sausage Sandwiches are juicy, savory, and delicious! Baked Italian spiced sausages are nestled in warm, crispy hoagie rolls, smothered in roasted peppers and onions, and topped with marinara sauce and melted mozzarella. Great for a backyard grill session or for dinner with friends! These sandwiches are a must for summer.
Looking for an appetizer while the sandwiches bake? Try serving our Italian Hoagie Dip Recipe or Italian Sausage Dip Recipe before the main event. Or serve a round of refreshing Raspberry Italian Soda with lunch or dinner!
Grilled Italian Sausage Sandwiches
Meatball sandwiches, baked brats, we love a good decadent sandwich in this family. These Italian Sausage Sandwiches might just be our new favorite!
The slightly sweet roasted bell peppers and onions blend with the spiced Italian sausage and savory marinara to create a flavor combination that can’t be beat.
Whether you’re serving them after a baseball game, grilling out for the holidays, or seated around the dinner table, these smothered sandwiches will delight everyone. Throw in some french fries on the side and you’re set!
How to Make Italian Sausage Sandwiches:
For the Peppers and Onions:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Place the strips of bell peppers and slices of onion on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle generously with the garlic and onion powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Lightly toss to coat.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the peppers and onions are tender. Flip with a spatula halfway into the cook time to prevent burning.
For the Sandwiches:
- Remove the peppers and onions from the oven and lower the temperature to 350°F.
- The sausages can be grilled or cooked on an indoor griddle pan over medium heat. They should reach an internal temperature of 165°F when done.
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes. Then, place the cooked sausages onto a plate and cover with foil to keep warm until assembly.
- Pour the marinara sauce of your choice into a medium saucepan and heat over low heat until warmed through.
- Assemble the sandwiches by placing the warm sausages into hoagie rolls. Scoop 3-4 spoonfuls of marinara sauce onto each sandwich. Then, add the roasted peppers and onions to each sandwich and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the sandwiches for 10-15 minutes. The cheese should be melted and the bread crispy. Serve with additional marinara for dipping and enjoy.
Tips and Variations:
- While this recipe makes more than enough peppers and onions, you can always cut down the portion size. We like to eat the extras on the side with the sandwiches or use the leftovers to add to other dishes. If you only want enough for the sandwiches cut the amount in half.
- Feel free to use a combination of colors of bell peppers or just whatever you have on hand. The peppers and onions add great flavor and a touch of sweetness that combines with the savory sausage and marinara sauce wonderfully. You can skip this topping if you aren’t a fan of peppers or onions though.
- Homemade or store bought marinara works for this recipe.
- Traditional hoagie rolls, a sliced baguette, or even hot dog buns will work for this dish!
- If you’re looking for additional toppings try pepperoni slices, spicy mustard, jalapenos, pickled red onions, or a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes.
- You can swap the mozzarella for provolone, white cheddar, or pepper jack. Freshly grated cheese will melt more evenly than shredded bag cheese.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Leftover Italian Sandwiches can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. We don’t recommend freezing.
Reheating: Reheat in the microwave or oven until warmed through. If heating in the oven, wrap the sandwich in tin foil so the bread doesn’t become too hard.
More Savory Sandwich Recipes:
- Meatball Sandwich
- Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
- Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
- Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
- Leftover Pot Roast Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwich
Roasted Peppers and Onions
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced into ½ inch strips
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced into ½ inch strips
- 1 medium white onion, sliced into ¼ inch strips
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 Italian sausages
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- 5 hoagie rolls
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
For the Peppers and Onions:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, and place the peppers and onions on a large baking sheet. Drizzle the peppers and onions with oil. Then, sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt, and pepper.2 green bell peppers2 red bell peppers1 medium white onion3 tablespoons cooking oil1 teaspoon garlic powder1 teaspoon onion powder1 teaspoon dried oregano½ teaspoon kosher salt½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Lightly toss the ingredients together, and bake for 40-45 minutes until the peppers and onions are tender. Flip them with a spatula every 15 to 20 minutes to prevent burning.
For the Sandwiches:
- Once the peppers and onions finish cooking, remove them from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Use an outdoor grill or indoor griddle pan to cook the sausages over medium heat until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F, about 15-20 minutes. Place the warm sausages onto a plate, and cover loosely with foil.5 Italian sausages
- Pour the marinara sauce into a medium saucepan, and heat over low heat until heated through.24 ounces marinara sauce
- Place the sausages into the hoagie rolls. Place 3-4 spoonfuls of marinara sauce onto each sandwich (add more if desired). Add peppers and onions to each sandwich. Then, top each sandwich with approximately 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese.5 hoagie rolls1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Bake the sandwiches for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy. Serve immediately with more marinara for dipping.
- See post for storage options.