Texas Toast Sloppy Joes are here to make dinner so much more delicious! Thick, buttery, garlicky Texas Toast is topped with the most mouthwatering homemade sloppy joe mix. These open faced sandwiches are topped with cheese to really send them over the top!
This recipe is certified kid-friendly! In fact, little ones will probably request this recipe for dinner on a weekly basis once they’ve tried it. Keep them excited for dinner with more picky-eater-approved recipes like Easy Instant Pot Chili Mac and easy classic Hamburgers!
Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
Listen, there’s really nothing better than taking that very first bite of a Texas Toast Sloppy Joe! We already know and love the wonders of Texas Toast - it’s probably the best thing that’s ever happened to the freezer aisle.
And when that thick slice of buttery toasted bread is topped with a savory, hearty dollop of sloppy joe meat and melted cheese? It’s a dinner that will have everyone running to the table!
Feel free to serve it as a lunch or a party food as well. It’s always a big hit with friends on game day!
How to Make Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
This easy open faced sandwich recipe is SO easy to make!
- Bake the Texas Toast according to package directions.
- Cook the ground beef. Drain the excess grease, but leave behind a tablespoon or 2 in the pan. Place the cooked beef aside.
- Sauté the onions and bell peppers in the pan until slightly softened. Add the garlic.
- Place the beef back in the pan with the tomato paste. Stir to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except for the cheese) to the pan. Stir and cook until thickened.
- Divide the sloppy joe mixture evenly amongst the Texas Toast. Sprinkle it with shredded cheese. Bake for 2-3 minutes until the cheese melts.
Tips for the Best Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
- Make sure you only leave these open faced sandwiches in the oven long enough for the cheese to melt. If they stay in there for too long, the sloppy joe mixture will dry out and the cheese/bread may burn.
- We always recommend shredding the cheddar cheese right off the block. That way, it has the best flavor and melts together in the most delicious way.
- Make sure to really break up the ground beef while you cook it. You want that signature sloppy joe consistency.
Storage: Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 days. It’s best to store the bread and sloppy joe mixture separately if possible. Once the sloppy joe mixture gets added to the Texas toast, the toast gets soggy.
Can I use another ground meat instead?
While you can swap the ground beef with turkey, chicken, or a plant-based alternative, you won’t have the same exact sloppy joe results you would with plain ground beef.
What should I serve with Texas Toast Sloppy Joes?
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 14 ounces garlic flavored Texas toast, frozen (1 box)
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ medium white onion, finely chopped
- ¼ green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded off the block
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, and place the slices of garlic toast onto the pan. Bake according to package directions then set aside.14 ounces garlic flavored Texas toast
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and cook the ground beef until browned. Drain away excess grease leaving 1 to 2 tablespoons in the skillet. Transfer the beef to a paper towel lined plate.1 pound ground beef
- To the skillet, add the onion and bell pepper. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften slightly. Then add the minced garlic. Cook for an additional 30 seconds.½ medium white onion¼ green bell pepper3 garlic cloves
- Return the beef back to the skillet along with the tomato paste. Stir well to combine.1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Add the ketchup, water, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine, and cook until the mixture thickens and reaches the desired consistency.⅔ cup ketchup⅓ cup water2 teaspoons light brown sugar1 teaspoon yellow mustard1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce½ teaspoon chili powder½ teaspoon kosher salt¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Divide the sloppy joe mixture evenly over the slices of baked Texas toast. Sprinkle each with an ounce of shredded cheese. Place the pan back in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes, just long enough for the cheese to melt.1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Enjoy immediately! See post for tips, FAQs, and storage options.