*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
A fresh crunchy broccoli bacon salad made with bacon, red onions, sunflower seeds and tossed with homemade dressing. It’s a tangy treat for your taste buds!
Summer is in full swing and we are doing everything we can to stay cool until Autumn comes to relieve us from the heat. One way to keep your temperature comfortable is eat a cold, fresh salad. For today’s offering, we decided to a share a broccoli bacon salad with a homemade dressing. As always, it’s simple to prepare and delicious to eat.
Kim prepared this recipe and we are thrilled with results. The broccoli bacon salad is crisp, crunchy, and combines two of our favorite flavors, savory and sweet. The sunflower seeds and cranberries contrast nicely and the bacon adds a smoky flavor that can’t be beat. I feel, Kim has put together the star of our Summer salad series. We hope you enjoy today’s dish.
Broccoli Bacon Salad Instructions:
- First, start by prepping your ingredients. I can’t emphasize enough the importance prepping everything in advance. It makes the cooking process so much smoother and cuts down the likelihood of mistakes in the kitchen because your attention never gets diverted.
- Next, begin making your salad dressing. Start with a medium bowl, and combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, vinegar, salt & pepper. Set the dressing aside.
- Now, pour the mayonnaise based salad dressing over the broccoli salad ingredients and stir everything together to coat the salad evenly.
- Last, serve the broccoli bacon salad immediately or store it in the refrigerator, in a sealed container, for up to 3 days.
Broccoli Bacon Salad Tips:
- Pre-cut the bacon slices before cooking to cut down on the overall cook time.
- When chopping the broccoli (like most vegetables), aim for bite-sized pieces that can be easily picked up with a fork.
- Raisins can be substituted for the cranberries and pumpkin seeds can be used in place of sunflower seeds.
Broccoli Bacon Salad
Broccoli Bacon Salad
- 4 Cups Broccoli (chopped, by volume not weight)
- 6 Slices Bacon (cooked, chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts (chopped, by volume)
- 1/2 Cup Cranberries (by volume)
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion (diced, by volume)
- 1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds (by volume)
Homemade Salad Dressing
- 3/4 Cup Mayonaise (by volume)
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream (by volume)
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoons Sea Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoons Black Pepper
- First, in a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, vinegar, salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Next, in a separate large bowl, combine the broccoli, bacon, walnuts, sunflower seeds, cranberries, and onion.
- Then, pour the mayonnaise dressing over the broccoli salad and stir to coat.
- Last, serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.