*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries make a quick side dish or snack. Whether you like them salty, sweet, or spicy, sweet potato fries couldn’t be easier.
It’s no secret that we love potatoes. Have you seen all the potato recipes that we’ve shared over the years?!
We couldn’t leave sweet potatoes out of the mix, so over the last few months we started to add some sweet potato recipes.
It made sense to add a recipe for baked sweet potato fries. They’re so easy to make and there’s so many different ways to season them.
John likes his fries savory, so for this recipe we took a simple approach.
Ingredients Needed for Sweet Potato Fries:
- Sweet Potatoes – sounds obvious, I know. Give the potatoes a good scrub and pat dry. (Make sure you’re not accidentally using yams!)
- Cooking Oil – use your favorite. Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, or corn oil are options.
- Seasoned Salt – good ol’ seasoned salt. Nothing special and any brand will work.
- Black Pepper – we used ground black pepper, but freshly ground pepper from peppercorns would taste amazing!
- Dipping Sauce – optional but super yummy! We happened to have a jar of maple butter in the fridge, so that’s what was used in the pictures. Other dipping sauce options include maple syrup, chili mayo, maple mustard, garlic aioli, or fry sauce.
Baked sweet potatoes fries are crazy easy to make. After the potatoes are washed and dried, cut them lengthwise into 1/4 – inch wide pieces. That’s important to ensure the fries cook evenly.
Place them in a plastic zip bag. Add the oil, seasoned salt, and pepper, and give the bag a good shake. Make sure all the fries are evenly coated.
Pour the fries onto a large baking sheet, and bake in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes. Adjust the time as needed to achieve the desired texture.
After the fries finish baking, use a spatula to carefully loosen the fries from the pan and serve hot.
Tips for Baking Great Sweet Potato Fries
How to Make Fries Crispy:
I wanted this recipe to be super simple. However, I’ve read that using cornstarch on sweet potato fries makes them crispy.
Toss the fries in cornstarch before adding the oil and bake. That gives the exterior a nice, crispy crunch while leaving the inside soft.
What Seasonings are Best for Sweet Potato Fries?
The possibilities are endless when it comes to flavoring sweet potato fries. Here are some options from salty to sweet and everything in between.
- Sea Salt
- Brown Sugar
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Cajun Seasoning
- Creole Seasoning
- Seasoned Salt
- Chili Powder
Wondering what to eat with these fries?
Here are a few recipe ideas!
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 Pound Sweet Potatoes washed and dried
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Seasoned Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into long strips about ¼ inch wide. Make sure they are all relatively similar in width and thickness so they cook in the same amount of time. Place the potatoes into a plastic zip bag, then add the oil, seasoned salt, and pepper. Close the bag, and give it a gentle shake until all the potatoes are evenly coated with the oil, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the potatoes out onto a large baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.