An easy sweet potato pie recipe using simple ingredients. You can make it homemade or use store bought ingredients, either way it’s sure to please a crowd!
Who doesn’t love a great Thanksgiving pie? Our favorites are pumpkin and pecan. However, I know a lot of people love sweet potato pie.
So, for today’s post, we’re sharing Kim’s easy sweet potato pie recipe. As the name implies, it’s really simple to put together.
To get to the recipe card and detailed instructions scroll through post. For now, let’s get started!
How to make a sweet potato pie recipe?
The hardest part is preparing the potatoes. Now, if you have a pressure cooker, you can use that to cook them.
Check out our Instant Pot sweet potatoes post for more details. As soon as the taters have cooled a little, use a peeler to peel them and set them aside.
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. and place a raw pie crust into a nine (9) inch pie pan.
Next, place the cooked and peeled sweet potatoes into a glass mixing bowl with the softened butter.
Use a hand mixer to blend the potatoes and remove any potential lumps.
After that, crack the eggs and add them to the bowl. Then pour in the milk, pumpkin pie spice, sugar, and vanilla extract.
Using your hand mixer, blend the ingredients until a smooth and creamy batter forms.
Afterward, transfer the pie batter to the uncooked crust and place it into the oven to bake for fifty (50) to sixty (60) minutes or until it sets.
It should resemble a cooked pumpkin pie and have a custard like appearance when done.
Last, let the sweet potato pie cool for at least two (2) hours before slicing. Otherwise, it will fall apart.
That’s it, your sweet potato pie recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the dessert and wish you all the best 🙂
- If you don’t want to use a store bought pie crust, we have a really easy pie crust recipe that only uses four ingredients. I encourage you to click the bold link above and take a look at the crust.
- We cooked our sweet potatoes, but you don’t have to. Canned sweet taters work just fine for this recipe.
- If the pie crust starts to brown too quickly, then take a large piece of aluminum, form it into a tent, and place the tent over the pie while it finishes cooking.
- 1 9 Inch Pie Crust, (uncooked, homemade or store bought)
- 1 Lb. Sweet Potatoes, (cooked and peeled)
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, (softened)
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a pie crust in a 9-inch pie dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the sweet potatoes and butter. The mixture should be smooth with minimal lumps.
- Add the sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Continue to mix on low speed until combined. Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. The pie should be set and not jiggly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving. Top with whipped cream if desired. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients are a serving size of one (1) slice of sweet potato pie when it's been cut into eight (8) equal sized slices. Additionally, the calorie count does NOT include the whipped cream seen in the photos as a topping. Actual calories will vary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 Slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 377Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 138mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 3gSugar: 30gProtein: 5g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.