This recipe for Homemade Pumpkin Pie is the perfect dessert for a fall holiday. Homemade pumpkin pie crust is filled with a decadent pumpkin pie filling with a homemade spice blend and baked to perfection!
There’s nothing like homemade pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving or any time during the fall. The warming creamy fall-flavored filling pairs perfectly on top of a crunchy buttery crust.
This recipe is dedicated to my Dad, who spent hours in the kitchen every Fall, creating delicious seasonal dishes. From banana and pumpkin breads to stuffings and turkeys, he was our go-to chef for holiday treats and it was totally worth it!
When I started making his recipe, I didn’t change too much to keep it a family classic. All I did was enhance the flavors by using a homemade pumpkin pie spice that makes a big difference in taste and flavor. I hope you and your family enjoy this pumpkin pie as much as we do!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s a family classic that gets better every year.
- The homemade spice blend adds a warm layer of fall flavor.
- Pumpkin pie tastes much better from scratch than store bought.
- Makes a great gift for friends, family, or teachers.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Homemade Pie Crust – While you can use a store bought crust, I promise this 4 ingredient butter pie crust makes this pie truly special.
- Canned Pumpkin – A must for pumpkin pie! Canned pumpkin puree makes up the base of this dessert.
- Sugar – Sweetens up the filling slightly.
- Evaporated Milk – Adds a creamy thick texture to the filling that sets well when baked.
- Eggs – Binds the filling together creating a light crust on the outside and a creamy center on the inside.
- Vanilla Extract – Infuses the pie with a light vanilla flavor.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – This homemade blend has everything you need for a perfectly flavored pie.
- Warming Seasonings – A mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger help flavor the filling in addition to the pumpkin pie spice.
How To Make Pumpkin Pie
- Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Layer a pie crust at the bottom of a pie pan and press down to remove any air bubbles. Set aside.
- Make the pumpkin pie filling: Using a hand mixer or a kitchen stand mixer, add the pumpkin puree, sugar, evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla, and seasonings to a bowl. Blend the mixture over medium speed until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Assemble the pumpkin pie: Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust, then smooth it out with a rubber spatula. You can gently tap it on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake and serve: Transfer the pie to the oven and bake for about 60-70 minutes or until the pie filling is nice and firm. The pie should not jiggle in the middle or it still needs some time. Remove from the oven and let it cool for one hour to set properly before slicing and serving.
NOTE: Our homemade pumpkin pie spice is heavy on cinnamon which gives it a great flavor! This also means that the filling may be slightly darker than a traditional pumpkin pie. You can easily adjust the seasonings to compensate depending on your tastes.
- Using a water bath. If desired, you can use a water bath while baking the pie to create a custard-like texture for the filling.
- Do not use pumpkin pie filling. This is a common mistake to make when making pumpkin pie. The filling already has sugar and spices in it which would change the taste and texture of the pie. Plain pumpkin puree is best!
- A small taste test of the filling will help determine if you have the right amount of spice or sugar for your personal tastes before baking.
- Add foil to the outside of the pie crust to prevent it from getting too brown while baking.
- Cooling time is important as the pie is still setting even after it has been baked in the oven.
- When it comes to baking, altitude matters. Check out this helpful High-Altitude Baking Guide from King Arthur’s website. It’s super useful for home cooks!
Variations & Substitutions
- Change out the pumpkin. Swap the pumpkin puree for sweet potato or butternut squash puree to give a unique twist on this fall favorite.
- Add a hint of cinnamon to the pie dough when you make it for a light warming flavor baked into the crust.
- Using an egg wash on the pie crust gives the crust a beautiful shiny brown color and crunchy texture.
- Brown sugar in the filling instead of white sugar gives the pie a light caramel flavor.
- Make this pie into cheesecake bars: For an extra decadent dessert, try a pumpkin pie cheesecake hybrid and make our pumpkin cheesecake bars. They’re they perfect blend of traditional pie with creamy cheesecake on a flaky, buttery shortbread crust.
Storing and Freezing
Storing: Freshly baked pumpkin pie will last outside of the fridge for 1-2 days but should be covered and refrigerated for 3-4 days to stay fresh.
Freezing: Cooked and cooled pumpkin pie can be tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, then foil, and will stay fresh in the freezer for 2-3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight before serving.
Can I make pumpkin pie ahead of time?
Yes! This is a great dessert to make that will save you time on Thanksgiving. A fully cooked and cooled pie can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap for up to 2 days before serving.
Can you make pie with regular pumpkins?
A carving pumpkin has a different texture and taste than a pie pumpkin which is why canned pumpkin puree will ensure the best tasting pie every time!
What can I substitute evaporated milk for if I don’t have any?
Cream or half and half make a great evaporated milk substitute, just make sure it’s not fat-free!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and place a pie crust in a 9-inch pie dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie dish. Place the pie pan on a baking sheet, and bake for 60-70 minutes or until it no longer jiggles.
- Allow the pie to cool for at least an hour before serving. Top with whipped cream if desired.
- See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of ⅛ of the pie (1 slice). Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 293mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 7g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.