*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Corn casserole is a buttery, creamy corn pudding that’s prepared in one bowl. It’s the perfect blend of corn, cornbread, and sour cream, that’s topped with two kinds of melted cheese!
Those same dishes will probably be served this year, too, but we wanted to add something different. Corn casserole seems like a great option.
How to Make Corn Casserole?
This recipe couldn’t be easier. All you need is one bowl and one baking dish.
Start by preheating the oven to 350°F, and greasing a 9 x 13 – inch baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
Add the frozen corn, creamed corn, corn muffin mix, melted butter, and sour cream to the bowl, and stir to combine.
Don’t pour the butter directly on top of the frozen corn; otherwise, the butter will harden into a clump.
The mixture will shouldn’t be too thick or too thin. It should resemble lumpy muffin batter and be easy to scoop or pour.
Transfer the batter into the greased baking dish, and use a spatula to smooth it into an even layer.
It’s going to seem like there’s not a lot corn pudding batter in the dish, but it will spread out and fill the bottom of the pan. As the casserole bakes, it will expand upwards and fill up more of the space.
Bake the casserole uncovered for 45 minutes, then add the shredded cheese.
Return the casserole to the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Allow the casserole to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Tips and Variations for the Best Corn Pudding:
Yes, use a 15.25 ounce can of sweet, whole kernel corn that’s been well drained in place of the frozen corn.
How can I substitute creamed corn?
Take the same amount of fresh or frozen (thawed) sweet corn kernels, and puree them in a blender or food processor with a tablespoon or two of milk until they reach the desired consistency.
Can I freeze corn casserole?
Yes. Bake the casserole as stated in the instructions, and allow it to cool completely. Transfer it to a freezer safe pan, and wrap it tightly in foil and/or freezer paper. If stored properly, the casserole can be frozen for up to three months. Thaw completely before reheating. Be aware that freezing the casserole may change the texture.
Can I omit the sour cream?
Yes, simply increase the butter to 8 tablespoons.
Optional Add-ins and Toppings:
- Green Chiles (adds a bit of heat)
- Jalapenos (adds a lot of heat)
- Diced Onion
- Eggs (2 eggs will act as a binder in the casserole; we recommend omitting the sour cream if using eggs)
- Cheese in the casserole (1/2 cup makes the casserole extra cheesy!)
- Granulated Sugar (a 1/4 cup will add some sweetness)
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 2 Cups Frozen Corn (may substitute 15.25 canned sweet corn, drained)
- 1 (14.25 Ounce) Can Creamed Corn, undrained
- 8 Ounces Corn Muffin Mix
- 6 Ounces Sour Cream
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 Ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 2 Ounces Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and grease a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the frozen corn, creamed corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and butter. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, then top with shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Allow the casserole to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
*The calories and nutrition information provided is an approximation and meant to be used as a guideline only. It is based on the serving sized listed and the ingredients used.
*Don’t pour the melted butter near the frozen corn; otherwise, the butter will freeze and will be difficult to stir.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 314mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 8g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.