*This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a small commission from the sale if you purchase from the affiliate link.
Spicy Jalapeno Cornbread is wonderfully light and moist. It’s filled with the flavor of sharp cheddar cheese and bits of spicy jalapenos.
Every time I see cornbread on a restaurant menu or cooking show, it reminds me of growing up in the South. My family often made beans in the slow cooker with a side of cornbread. It was often a staple at our holiday dinner tables, too. As a kid, I dreaded attempting to eat it.
I’m not sure why but, cornbread was overly dry even after being slathered with tons of butter. Eating it made meals dreadful, and soon, I stopped having it all together.
A few years ago John was making beans and spicy jalapeno cornbread. He added cheese, jalapenos, and extra butter to the batter, and the result looked amazingly moist. I couldn’t resist, so I took a bite. It was the best I’d ever tasted. Also, it pairs wonderfully with chili.
How to Make Spicy Jalapeno Cornbread:
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees and melt the butter in a 6-inch cast iron skillet over low heat. Keep an eye on the melting butter so it doesn’t overcook and become clarified butter.
- Next, in a large bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Use a whisk or a fork to blend the ingredients together so you break up any lumps. Then, set the mixture aside.
- Now, in a separate large bowl, combine the egg, milk, and buttermilk. Slowly add the melted butter while whisking the wet concoction so the egg doesn’t scramble.
- After that, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir everything together to combine the batter.
- Go ahead and fold in jalapenos and cheese.
Baking the Spicy Jalapeno Cornbread:
- Using a rubber spatula, carefully pour the batter into the heated skillet. The preheated skillet will help create a crispy crust on the finished jalapeno cornbread.
- Take a kitchen towel or oven mitt and place the hot skillet in the preheated oven. Bake for the cornbread for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Jalapeno Cornbread Tips:
- Don’t have fresh jalapenos, it’s okay to use pickled ones instead.
- Feel free to experiment with the cheese, try using Pepper Jack or Queso Fresco instead of cheddar cheese.
- To keep the egg from scrambling from the hot butter, try using a cold egg ,cold buttermilk, and cold milk.
Spicy Jalapeno Cornbread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon jalapenos pickled or fresh (chopped)
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a 6-inch cast iron skillet.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine egg, milk, and buttermilk. Slowly add the melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fold in jalapenos and cheese.
- Carefully pour the batter into the hot skillet.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve immediately with extra butter or honey.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.