Jalapeno cornbread is wonderfully light, moist, and rich with flavor. It’s filled with bold ingredients like sharp cheddar cheese and bits of spicy jalapenos that are perfectly baked in a cast iron skillet. It’s the best spicy addition to any meal!
Growing up in the south, cornbread is a family table staple. However, not all cornbread is alike. Not to worry though, while some cornbread recipes come out thin and dried out, ours is amazingly moist and full of extra surprises. Sharp cheddar cheese and chunks of jalapenos give this recipe a mouthwatering spin on an old family favorite.
- Butter: One whole stick of unsalted butter.
- Flour: All-purpose is what we use for this recipe. No need for self-rising.
- Cornmeal: The base of any good cornbread.
- Baking powder: This will ensure the cornbread comes out light and fluffy.
- Egg: One large egg is just perfect. It’s great for binding the ingredients together.
- Salt: To taste.
- Milk: We suggest using whole milk and make sure it is cold when adding to the recipe.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk will really give your cornbread that classic flavor you know and love.
- Jalapenos: You can use pickled or fresh, whatever you have on hand. Whichever you go with, they do need to be chopped.
- Cheddar cheese: We like it sharp and freshly shredded.
How To Make Jalapeno Cornbread
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In an 8 inch cast iron skillet, melt your butter over low heat. Keep an eye on the melting butter so it doesn’t overcook and become clarified butter.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Use a whisk to break up any lumps. Set aside.
- Now, in another large mixing bowl, combine the egg, milk, and buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Stir in the melted butter, and fold in the chopped jalapenos and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Carefully pour the batter into the hot skillet. The preheated skillet will help create a crispy crust on the finished jalapeno cornbread.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve immediately while hot with extra butter or honey.
Tips and Variations
- If you don’t have fresh jalapenos, it’s okay to use pickled ones instead.
- Feel free to experiment with the cheese, try using Pepper Jack or Monterrey Jack instead of cheddar cheese.
- Toss in some corn kernels or diced bell peppers and onions for some extra flavor and texture.
Storage and Reheating
Room Temperature: Wrap leftover Jalapeno Cornbread in plastic wrap or an airtight container. It will stay fresh on the counter for up to 3 days.
Refrigerator: For longer freshness and sealed in flavor, store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for about 5-7 days.
Freezer: This spicy cornbread can be frozen! Let cool completely before placing in your preferred storage container, then place in the freezer. It will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
Reheating: If frozen, let thaw before reheating. To reheat the cornbread, pop it in the microwave or oven until heated through.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon jalapenos, pickled or fresh (chopped)
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and place butter into an 8-inch cast iron or oven-proof skillet.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven, and allow the butter to melt while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine egg, milk, and buttermilk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Carefully stir in the melted butter, then fold in jalapenos and cheese.
- Scoop the batter into the hot skillet. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve immediately with extra butter or honey. See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 slice of cornbread (⅕ of the pan). Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 592mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.