This easy recipe for homemade Sweet Potato Casserole uses less than 10 ingredients to make a delicious holiday side dish. Use canned sweet potatoes to save time for a dish that’s quick and easy and ready for your holiday table!
Sweet potato casserole is a classic dish during our holiday season! We love serving it on our Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner table to balance out all of the yummy savory dishes we make.
If you’ve never made a sweet potato casserole before, this is a great starter recipe! It’s made with just a few ingredients you can find at any grocery store and takes less than one hour to bake in the oven.
The best part is the time saver of using canned sweet potatoes. You’ll simply drain and rinse them and add them right to the base of the dish to mix with the other ingredients.
They taste just as good as cooking sweet potatoes but take no time at all. Perfect for making ahead or when you need to bring a dish to a holiday event and you’re short on time.
- Your baking pan should be generously greased to make sure the base of the casserole does not stick to the bottom making it easier to serve.
- Make sure you add the marshmallows halfway through cooking as they will get too brown or burned if they are on top the whole time. If you would like to keep them on the whole time, cover the casserole with foil, then remove them during the last 10-15 minutes of baking.
- When using canned sweet potatoes, it's important to make sure they are fully drained and rinsed to remove any of the canning liquid that could contain excess salt or other preserving ingredients.
- Cook the casserole just until baked as any longer could dry out the casserole.
- Use a mix of canned sweet potato and canned carrots to make the base of the dish for an even more naturally sweet vegetable flavor.
- Replace the cinnamon in this recipe with Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice for warming Fall flavor.
- If you prefer, you can cook the sweet potatoes from scratch by boiling, roasting, or using your pressure cooker.
- Drizzle the marshmallow-topped casserole with some Homemade Caramel Sauce for an even more sweet flavor.
- Use candied pecans or Pumpkin Spice Granola as an additional topping for texture and crunch.
Storing and Freezing
Storing: Cooked and cooled sweet potato casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. Reheat in the microwave or in a 325°F oven for 20 minutes or until warmed through.
Freezing: Cooled sweet potato casserole can be stored in the freezer without any toppings. Add a layer of plastic wrap to the top, then wrap completely in foil to prevent freezer burn. Freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before baking and adding toppings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does sweet potato casserole need eggs?
Eggs help bind the mixture together and make it stiff without adding any additional heavy texture.
What’s the difference between sweet potato pie and casserole?
A sweet potato pie has a thick custard-like crust and is usually baked in a pie crust. The casserole is more of a loose mixture that has various toppings.
How do you know when sweet potato casserole is done?
A sweet potato casserole is done baking when the center is set and no longer moves or jiggles. The time it takes to cook depends on the size of your baking dish and how much you’re cooking.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 40 ounces canned sweet potatoes, drained (the can may also say "yams")
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ⅛ cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and grease a 8x8-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to mix the drained sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar, heavy cream, egg, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon until well combined.40 ounces canned sweet potatoes¼ cup unsalted butter¼ cup light brown sugar⅛ cup heavy cream1 large egg½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract½ teaspoon kosher salt¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, then top with mini marshmallows. Continue baking for an additional 15-20 minutes. The marshmallows will be lightly browned and the sweet potato mixture cooked through.2 cups mini marshmallows
- Serve hot as a side dish. See post for storage options.