Chicken Seasoning is your ultimate secret weapon in creating the most flavorful chicken dishes. It's a perfect blend of savory and smoky flavors, combined from easily accessible pantry staples. Great for grilling or oven baking, you'll be reaching for this homemade spice rub for all your chicken recipes.
How to Season Chicken
- Use 1 tablespoon of seasoning per pound chicken.
- Rub the seasoning mix into the chicken so it soaks into the meat.
- If using chicken with skin, lift the skin to apply the seasoning.
- Make sure each piece of chicken is well coated with seasoning. Use additional seasoning if needed.
Substitutions and Variations
- Sweeten the spice rub: For a sweet version of this seasoning blend, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Make it spicy: Add red pepper flakes, chili powder, or cayenne pepper to give this seasoning a bit of heat.
- Give it an Italian spin: Use a mixture of Italian seasoning, basil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, and onion powder for an Italian touch.
- Adjust to tastes: Adjust or omit any of the seasonings to your tastes.
No major equipment needed here! You'll need a small bowl and a spoon or a jar with a lid.
Simply stir the ingredients together or shake in a jar to combine.
Store the chicken seasoning mix in a sealed container in the pantry for up to 6 months.
- Discard any unused rub that has touched raw chicken or your hands while handling it.
- Adjust the salt to suit your personal taste preference.
- For the best flavor, let the chicken rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours. Letting the chicken rest after applying the dry rub gives the flavors time to soak into the meat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does this seasoning blend work on both chicken breasts and chicken thighs?
Yes, this spice rub works on chicken breasts and thighs. They can be boneless, skinless or still have the skin attached.
Is it better to season chicken before or after cooking?
You always want to season the chicken before it's cooked.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 1 ½ tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika, smoked or sweet
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a bowl, and stir to combine.1 ½ tablespoons garlic powder1 tablespoon onion powder1 tablespoon salt1 tablespoon paprika2 teaspoons dried thyme2 teaspoons dried oregano½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Use on uncooked chicken as a seasoning blend.