A unique spicy coleslaw recipe made with four ingredients and loaded with flavor. It's simple to prepare and is used to top your favorite sandwich or taco.
So, the other day, Kim and I were trying to figure out what we wanted for dinner that evening. It dawned on us that we had not made my slow cooker shredded chicken in quite some time.
The recipe sounded great, but we wanted a little crunch with our tacos. After searching the kitchen, we found all the ingredients needed to create a delicious spicy coleslaw.
Within minutes, I had made a creamy, fiery, condiment that Kim liked so much she was eating it by itself.
All you need is a bag of coleslaw mix, some mayo, lemon juice, and a few spices to make it yourself.
Now, we decided to add a little jalapeno, some onion, and mix sweet peppers. You don't have to make your version the same way.
As long as you have the cabbage mixture, some lemon juice, mayonnaise, chili powder, and chipotle powder, nothing more is needed.
A food processor with a slicing attachment makes adding other vegetables to your spicy coleslaw a breeze.
The real star of the dish is the dressing. Mixing lemon juice with the mayo creates a fresh citrus flavor that really pops.
The crunchy cabbage and other veggies are a welcome addition to any taco.
You could also use it on a barbecue sandwich; especially, one with a sweet sauce. On the other hand, you could be like Kim and just grab a fork and dig into the spicy coleslaw.
It's a versatile dish that I sincerely hope you decide to try out for yourself. In closing, I wish you a long life, everlasting love, and a full belly!
Other side dish recipes you may love:
- Green Chile Cornbread
- Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Brioche Rolls
- Ham Hock and Beans
- Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 12 ounces coleslaw mix, 1 package
- 1 large jalapeño, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup white onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup green bell pepper, thinly sliced; may use red or yellow bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Place the coleslaw in a large mixing bowl.12 ounces coleslaw mix
- Add the jalapeno, onions, and peppers and stir to combine.1 large jalapeño¼ cup white onion¼ cup green bell pepper
- In a separate small mixing bowl, whisk together the mayo, lemon juice, chili powder, and chipotle powder to create the dressing.1 tablespoon chipotle powder1 tablespoon chili powder¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice1 cup mayonnaise
- Add the dressing to the coleslaw and toss everything together. Serve as a condiment on your favorite dish or eat it as a stand-alone side.