Our homemade Guacamole recipe is the perfect combination of creamy avocado, freshly squeezed lime, diced Roma tomatoes and onion with savory seasonings. Enjoy this ultimate party dip from scratch in just 10 minutes! A simple and delicious recipe that’s sure to satisfy any guacamole fan.
Best Guacamole Recipe
John is the guacamole lover in our house. When we originally published this recipe years ago, he made it with plenty of spices and no cilantro.
I decided to give this avocado dip a makeover and lightened up on the spices a bit. This dip is still super delicious, creamy, and full of fresh flavor!
Our guacamole recipe tastes amazing on shrimp tacos, as a dip with tortilla chips, with chicken quesadillas, or taquitos. Serve up a bowl with for your next Taco Tuesday, game day, or Cinco de Mayo celebration, and don’t forget to bring the salsa!
Fresh Guacamole Ingredients:
- Avocadoes: You’ll need 2 small to medium ripe avocados. They shouldn’t be super soft and overripe like bananas for banana bread. We’re looking for ripe avocados that have a little give but not so ripe that your thumb or finger will go through the peels.
- Roma Tomatoes: I used about 2 heaping tablespoons of seeded and finely diced roma tomatoes. They’re flavorful, firm and hold up well to being diced and stirred into guacamole without falling apart. Cherry or grape tomatoes work, too, but they have seeds which may water down the dip a bit. Use those only in a pinch.
- White Onion: You’ll need 1 tablespoon of finely diced white onion. Purple onion also works if that’s what you have on hand.
- Lime Juice: I juiced 1 lime and got about 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lime juice. Make sure to use fresh lime juice and not bottled. It helps to keep the avocados from turning brown while adding acidity to cut through the creaminess.
- Seasonings: You’ll need ¼ teaspoon of salt and ⅛ teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Adjust any of these to taste. The garlic powder and onion powder are optional.
How to Make Guacamole:
Scroll to the recipe card below for full instructions and ingredient amounts!
This guacamole really is easy to make. All you need are a few fresh ingredients, a fork and a bowl.
- Scoop the avocados out of the peels and place them into a large bowl. Add the lime juice, and use a fork or potato masher to combine the ingredients until the avocados reach the desired texture.
- Add the diced tomatoes, onions, and seasonings and stir to combine. Enjoy!
Tips for the Best Guacamole:
- Add some cilantro. If you enjoy cilantro, add a little (or a lot!) for more fresh flavor.
- Use more savory seasonings. John loves to add a bit of cumin, some turmeric, a pinch of cayenne, some chipotle, and smoked paprika to his guacamole. Add your favorite seasonings to taste.
- Double, triple, or quadruple this recipe. Depending on the size of the avocados, this recipe makes about 1 to 1 ½ cups. Make extra for a large family or if feeding a big crowd.
- Make it spicy. Add some diced jalapeño for a spicy kick!
How to Store Fresh Guacamole:
Refrigerator: Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Other Dip Recipes You May Love:
Guacamole without CilantroPrint Save Saved! Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 2 avocados
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice about 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons roma tomatoes diced
- 1 tablespoon white onion diced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder optional
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder optional
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Scoop the avocados out of the peels and place them into a large bowl. Add the lime juice, and use a fork or potato masher to combine the ingredients until the avocado reaches the desired texture.2 avocados1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Add the diced tomatoes, onions, and seasonings and stir to combine.2 tablespoons roma tomatoes1 tablespoon white onion¼ teaspoon kosher salt⅛ teaspoon onion powder⅛ teaspoon garlic powder⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Serve with chips, on tacos, or with quesadillas.
- Scroll up and see the post for tips, FAQs, and storage recommendations.
Sunday 2nd of April 2017
Such a delicious recipe!
Sunday 2nd of April 2017
Thank you, Patty! I am thrilled you like it and hope you have a great Sunday! :)