*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Our grilled chicken cheese quesadilla recipe uses tender seasoned chicken, sauteed peppers and onions, and pepper jack cheese.
Fridays are Kim and my favorite day of the week. Not just because it means the weekend is upon us, but it also means Tex-Mex.
Fiesta Friday is what we call it, and that’s the day when we break out all the necessities for a cheesy, spicy dish.
If you’re wondering what to put into a chicken quesadilla, it’s pretty simple. We like to use tortillas, cheese, onions, peppers, salsa, limes, Taco or Fajita Seasoning (our favorite chicken quesadillas seasoning), and of course, chicken.
These chicken quesadillas are incredibly easy to make, and the ingredients are also simple to swap out if there’s something you don’t particularly care for.
Use your favorite ingredients, and this meal will be a real crowd-pleaser every time!
How to Make Chicken Quesadillas:
Start by cutting the peppers and onions into long strips, like you would for fajitas. Place the vegetables in a bowl and set aside. Then, juice a lime, and set the juice aside.
Heat a cast iron skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add the water, lime juice, seasoning mix, and chicken.
Cook for 8-10 minutes on each side. If the chicken is thick, it may need to be placed in the oven for a few minutes to finish cooking.
After the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the pan, and let it rest for several minutes.
Once the chicken is done resting, use two forks to shred it into thin pieces.
Place the peppers and onions in the pan that held the chicken, and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Now is also a great time to turn on the grill or griddle that you’ll use to cook the assembled quesadillas.
When the peppers and onions start to become soft, add the chicken to the pan. Stir to combine, and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
Place some cheese on a tortilla, then top it with some chicken, peppers, and onions. Top that with a little more cheese.
Use a basting brush to lightly butter the grill. Fold the tortilla in half if using one tortilla, or top it with a second tortilla if using two. Place the filled tortilla(s) onto the hot, buttered grill.
Baste additional butter on the top tortilla. After the cheese melts on the bottom half and the tortilla gets crispy, use a spatula to flip the chicken quesadilla.
Cook the other side until the cheese melts and the tortilla is crispy. Remove the finished chicken quesadilla from the pan, cut into triangles, and serve with your favorite salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.
Tips for the Best Chicken Quesadillas Recipe:
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper before it’s cooked, so it’s not bland. It will absorb some of the lime and seasoning flavor, but seasoning it first will make a big difference.
- Let the chicken rest before cutting into it! This gives the juices a chance to settle back into the meat, so they won’t run all over your cutting board. If you cut into the chicken immediately, it will dry out.
- Don’t over butter the grill or the tortilla. A little butter is fine, but too much will result in a soggy tortilla that won’t crisp.
- When it comes to what seasoning to put in quesadillas, we really like taco or fajita seasoning. However, any combination of similar spices or your favorite Tex-Mex style seasoning can be used.
Love grilled chicken? Then, check out our grilled chicken salad with toppings recipe!
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen and our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes!
Grilled Chicken Cheese Quesadilla Recipe
- 3/4 Lbs. Chicken Breast
- 8 Ounces Pepper Jack Cheese (shredded)
- 4 Large White Tortillas
- 3-4 Tablespoons Fajita or Taco Season Mix
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Medium White Onion (sliced)
- 1 Large Green Bell Pepper (seeds removed, sliced)
- 1 Large Red or Yellow Pepper (seeds removed, sliced)
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter (melted)
- Various Condiments Cilantro, Salsa, Sour Cream, Etc.
- First, slice the bell peppers and onions into long strips. Next, shred the pepper jack cheese. Then, juice one fresh lime to get the lime juice. Set all of these ingredients aside.
- Afterward, on medium heat in a cast iron skillet or saute pan, combine the chicken, water, lime juice, and seasoning mix and cook them for 15 to 20 minutes. Make sure to cover the pan during the cooking process and flip the chicken once after the first 10 minutes have passed.
- Once the chicken is done, use two forks to shred it into bite-sized pieces. Then, put the peppers and onions into the pan with chicken to cook for an additional five minutes while covered. At this point, you can preheat the grill on medium heat.
- Now that the filling for your quesadilla is done take one flour tortilla and put 1 1 1/2 ounces of cheese on half the quesadilla. Then add about three tablespoons of the chicken and peppers mixture. Sprinkle about a half an ounce of cheese over the filling so when you fold the quesadilla closed, the melted cheese will seal it.
- After that, baste the outside of the tortilla with butter and transfer it, butter-side down to the hot grill. While the first side cooks, butter the top and flip the quesadilla once the bottom is crispy and grilled.
- Once both sides of the quesadilla are done cooking, remove it from the heat and slice it down the center. Plate it and serve it with condiments of your choice.