Take your everyday instant ramen to the next level with this viral recipe for Elote Ramen! Taking Tik Tok by storm, Elote Ramen is smothered in a rich, creamy, cheesy sauce with plenty of spice and loads of flavor. You’ll never make instant ramen the same way again!
If you’re wondering what exactly Elote Ramen is, it’s a mixture of classic instant ramen and the flavors of Mexican street corn. (Is your mouth watering yet?) Cheese, chili powder, lime juice, and mayonnaise are typically combined and spread over ears of corn making a flavor combination that’s out of this world.
Now you can create that same flavor palate and use it to make a comforting instant ramen dish worthy of viral fame! Ingredients like sweet corn, Mexican table crema, freshly shredded mozzarella, and fresh lime juice really set this ramen recipe apart. So toss those boring season packets that come with your noodles, this recipe will change your spice game for good.
- instant ramen noodles: It doesn’t matter what flavor as we’ll be discarding the seasoning packets.
- limes: Juiced and divided.
- can of sweet golden corn: One can, drained.
- mayonnaise: Choose your favorite.
- chili powder: For that lovely spicy flavor!
- butter: Unsalted.
- white onion: You could substitute for a yellow onion.
- flour: To create a base for our sauce.
- Mexican table crema: Similar to sour cream but with a much richer flavor and thicker consistency.
- mozzarella cheese: Freshly shredded off the block.
How to Make Elote Ramen
- We’ll begin by preparing our noodles. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the instant ramen. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the noodles are cooked through. Drain all the water and transfer the ramen to a large bowl.
- Do not use the seasoning packets that come with the ramen, those can be discarded. Instead, toss in the juice of one of the limes, the sweet corn, mayonnaise, and ½ teaspoon of the chili powder. Set this aside.
- Now, in a medium skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Add your diced onion and cook until it becomes translucent. Usually about 3 minutes.
- Carefully whisk in the flour and the remaining chili powder until this mixture starts to thicken. Then, squeeze in the juice from the remaining lime and add the table crema.
- Gradually add the mozzarella cheese. Wait until it's completely melted before adding more. If the sauce is too thick for your liking, stir in 2-3 more tablespoons of crema a little at a time until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Pour the cheese sauce on top of the ramen mixture, toss to combine, and serve with additional table crema, chili powder, Valentina hot sauce, crumbled queso fresco, limes, and cilantro as finishing touches. And voila you now have delicious Elote Ramen. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- If you can’t get your hands on Mexican table crema, you can substitute it for sour cream. The tangy flavor will be similar just not as rich and the consistency may be a touch thinner.
- Tajin is another great seasoning to add to this dish.
- If your sauce is too thick you can add more Mexican table crema to thin it out.
- Cilantro, fresh lime slices, and a few dashes of hot sauce are great ways to add even more flavor just before serving!
Storage and Reheating
Storage: You can store any leftovers of Elote Ramen in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Reheating: Reheat on the stove or in the microwave until warmed through.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 18 ounces instant ramen noodles, 6 (3 ounce packages) with the seasoning packets discarded
- 2 limes, juiced and divided
- 15 ounces golden sweet corn, 1 can, drained
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Mexican crema
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded off the block
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the ramen noodles, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until cooked through. Drain, and transfer the noodles to a large bowl.18 ounces instant ramen noodles
- Toss in the juice of one of the limes, corn, mayonnaise and ½ teaspoon of the chili powder. Set aside.15 ounces golden sweet corn½ cup mayonnaise
- In a medium skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until it becomes translucent, about 3 minutes.2 tablespoons unsalted butter¼ cup white onion
- Whisk in the flour and the remaining ½ teaspoon chili powder until it starts to thicken. Then, squeeze in the juice from the one remaining lime and the table crema.1 cup Mexican crema1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Gradually add the mozzarella cheese until completely melted. (If the sauce is too thick, gradually stir in 2-3 more tablespoons of crema at a time until it reaches your desired thickness.)8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- Pour the cheese sauce on top of the ramen mixture, toss to combine, and serve with additional table crema, chili powder, Valentina hot sauce, crumbled queso fresco, limes and cilantro if desired.
- See post for storage options.