This Southwest Egg Rolls recipe makes the perfect party appetizer or even light lunch! They're crispy on the outside and packed with chicken, cheese, veggies, and flavorful spices. These are sure to be a hit with the whole family!
How to Make Southwest Egg Rolls:
- First, heat 2 inches of oil in a deep skillet over medium heat to 265°F. Then, while that's preheating, prepare your Southwest Egg Roll filling by adding the cheese, chicken, jalapeño, black beans, and dry spices to a large bowl.
- Stir to combine and evenly coat everything in the spices.
- Lay out an egg roll wrapper in a diamond shape, and brush the edges with water.
- Then, add 2-3 tablespoons of the filling to the lower corner of the wrapper.
- Roll up the bottom of the egg roll wrapper. Then, press the edges and fold in the outer corners then gently roll it up.
- Seal the top corner down to connect back with the egg roll wrapper and seal the dish.
- Repeat the process with the remaining filling for the remaining egg rolls.
- Fry 3-4 egg rolls at a time in the oil at a time for two to three minutes or until light and golden on all sides. Let them drip off any excess oil on a plate fitted with a paper towel, and serve with Ranch dressing and freshly minced cilantro if desired.
Pro Tip: This is a great recipe to make with the entire family! Get the kids involved to help you spoon the filling onto each egg roll wrapper and carefully roll up the wrapper before frying.
What To Serve with Southwest Egg Rolls
I love serving these homemade Southwest Egg Rolls with some homemade ranch dressing or spicy ranch dressing and fresh, chopped cilantro. They would also be delicious with some red salsa, pineapple salsa, salsa verde, or guacamole!
These also go great with my simple homemade margaritas!
- Swap out the protein! Ground beef, ground turkey, and tofu would be great in these Southwest Egg Rolls.
- Or keep it vegetarian by omitting the meat entirely.
- Make it vegan by omitting the meat or swapping for a plant-based protein and using dairy-free cheese.
- Turn these into breakfast egg rolls by adding some scrambled eggs and swapping the chicken for bacon or sausage!
- Make them more filling by adding some cooked rice or quinoa.
- Add more cooked veggies like cabbage, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, or mushrooms!
- Cheese: Swap out the Colby Jack for pepper jack, cheddar, mozzarella, or Monterey Jack.
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating Recommendations
Refrigerator: Cooked and cooled egg rolls can be stored in an airtight container or plastic bag in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Cooked and cooled eggs rolls can be stored in an airtight, freezer-safe container or plastic bag for up to 3 months.
Reheat: Reheat thawed or chilled egg rolls in the air fryer, or on a wire rack in an oven or toaster oven on 300°F until warmed through and crispy.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- vegetable oil, or canola oil, for frying
- 3 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese, finely shredded
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed (1 can)
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded and finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 14 egg roll wrappers
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a deep skillet over medium heat to 265°F.
- In the meantime, add the chicken, cheese, black beans, corn, jalapeño, cumin, chili powder and salt to a large bowl, and stir to combine.3 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts2 cups Colby Jack cheese15 ounces black beans1 cup frozen corn1 jalapeño1 teaspoon ground cumin1 teaspoon chili powder½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Lay out an eggroll wrapper in a diamond shape, then brush the edges with water and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling to the lower corner of the wrapper.14 egg roll wrappers
- Roll up the bottom then press the edges and fold in the outer corners then gently roll it up, and seal the top corner down.
- Repeat the process with the remaining filling then fry 3-4 in the oil at a time for two to three minutes or until light and golden on all sides.
- Let them drip off any excess oil on a plate fitted with a paper towel, and serve with Ranch dressing and freshly minced cilantro if desired.
- See post for storage recommendations.