Savory and spicy grilled shrimp tacos with chipotle sauce served with lettuce, tomato, diced avocados, red onions, and fresh squeezed lime juice!
After living in South Florida for almost a decade, Kim and I developed a love of fresh seafood. Of course, now that we live in the center of the country, it's a bit challenging to find good seafood. But, that doesn't stop us from trying!
Take for example, our grilled shrimp with key lime aioli recipe. Sure, we have to order some of the ingredients now, but it's worth the effort. For today's recipe, we're sharing our grilled shrimp tacos with chipotle sauce. They're spicy, savory, and absolutely delicious.
How to make our quick tomato and avocado salsa:
It's a very simple salsa to prepare and you can add any spices you want to create your own version. All you need to do is dice the tomatoes, avocados, and red onion.
After that, place them into a small mixing bowl and toss everything in the lime juice. That's it, the salsa is ready. You can sprinkle it with salt, pepper, cilantro or any other spices you desire.
How to Grilled Shrimp Tacos:
First, if you're using frozen shrimp, thaw them out under cold water, drain the seafood and set it aside. Next, grab a large mixing bowl and sprinkle the shrimp with fajita seasoning. Feel free to use a packaged spice mix.
Or you can use our custom homemade fajita seasoning mix by clicking the bolded link. Now, toss the shrimp with seasoning and place them on a preheated grill or griddle. Let them cook on one side for 1-3 minutes depending on size.
A great way to keep them from overcooking is to flip them once they turn white around the vein of the shrimp (halfway through).
Then, once they're flipped, let them cook for and extra 30-90 seconds or until they've turned white all the way through.
Last, remove the shrimp from the grill and start assembling the tacos. We started with grilled tortillas, then lettuce, tomato and avocado salsa, and finally chipotle sauce.
Don't forget to slice some limes to add an extra spritz of lime juice to each taco. Before we say goodbye, a quick word about the chipotle cream sauce.
Click the link for our personal recipe or buy your favorite brand and use it instead. That's it, your grilled shrimp tacos with chipotle sauce recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the meal and wish you all the best 🙂
Grilled Shrimp Taco Recipe Tips:
- For an extra kick of spice in your grilled shrimp tacos, then consider adding more chili powder, cumin powder, and cayenne powder to the shrimp before you grill them.
- You can also add more flavor to the tomato and avocado salsa by tossing it with chopped cilantro, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Avoid heavy cheese dips, nachos, or refried beans as side dish options. Sides like that clash with light and fresh flavors of seafood. I recommend a chips and salsa or even Spanish or Mexican rice.
- Shrimp not your thing? Swap it out with some Grilled Mahi Mahi and make Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos instead.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 1 pound shrimp, medium 41-60, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- 1 teaspoon canola oil, or oil of your choice for the grill or griddle
Tomato and Avocado Salsa
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup purple onion, diced
- 1 cup avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ¼ cups lettuce, shredded
- 8 tablespoons chipotle cream sauce, store-bought or our recipe
- Heat a grill or griddle over low heat. While the grill heats, prepare the shrimp.
- If using frozen shrimp, unthaw, rinse, and pat dry. Place the shrimp in a large bowl and sprinkle with seasoning. Toss to combine1 pound shrimp1 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- Lightly brush the grill with oil, and place the shrimp in an even layer on the hot grill. Cook the shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes then flip and cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute.1 teaspoon canola oil
Tomato and Avocado Salsa
- Dice the tomatoes, avocado, and red onion. Place them in a small mixing bowl and drizzled with the fresh lime juice. Toss to combine and add salt and pepper to taste.1 cup tomatoes¼ cup purple onion1 cup avocado1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Assemble the tacos by layering the shredded lettuce into the bottom of the tortilla. Next, add the tomato and avocado salsa, Add the shrimp and drizzle with the chipotle sauce. Serve hot.1 ¼ cups lettuce8 tablespoons chipotle cream sauce