A simple chipotle cream sauce recipe using a special blend of spices, chipotle paste, and sour cream. Try this savory sauce on tacos, bowls, and salads!
Nothings tops a burrito, taco, or nachos quite like a spicy cream sauce. For today’s post, we’re sharing our simple chipotle cream sauce.
Similar to our homemade remoulade or 5-minute fish taco sauce, this recipe smooth, creamy, and delicious. It’s a great for adding chipotle flavor to dishes like tater tot nachos.
Best of all, our chipotle sauce only takes a few minutes to prepare. Also, you don’t need any fancy tools or gadgets to whip up this condiment.
What is chipotle sauce made of?
There are many types of chipotle sauces. However, it seems most traditional sauces are made of chipotle peppers, Mexican crema, fresh garlic, and freshly squeezed lime juice.
Regional adaptations have been created all over the United States based on local ingredients like sour cream, mayonnaise, and canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
Looking for recipe to make that uses this sauce? Then, take a look at our grilled shrimp with chipotle sauce.
How to make our chipotle cream sauce?
First, grab a small to medium sized mixing bowl and a whisk. After that, add the sour cream to the bowl. Next, add in the lime juice, chipotle paste (or powder), garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, and salt.
Last, use a whisk to combine all the ingredients into a rich and creamy sauce. That’s it, the recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the sauce and we wish you all the best 🙂
Chipotle Cream Sauce Notes and Tips:
- A canned chipotle pepper may also be used in this recipe. However, the ingredients will need to be processed in a blender or food processor. Also, you can use a partial or whole pepper depending on how spicy you’d like the sauce.
- The amount of chipotle paste or powder in the recipe will determine how spicy your sauce will turn out.
- Additionally, if you use a canned pepper, the adobo sauce in the can adds the flavors of paprika, oregano, salt, and vinegar. Creating a unique taste similar to an adobo chipotle sauce.
Other homemade sauce and condiments you may enjoy:
Don’t forget to check out our Chipotle Cream Sauce web story!
Simple Chipotle Cream SaucePrint Save Saved! Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup sour cream or mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon chipotle paste (see notes in post for adobo chipotle sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt pinch
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.1/2 cup sour cream2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice1 teaspoon chipotle paste1/2 teaspoon garlic powder1/4 teaspoon onion powder1/8 teaspoon chili powder1/8 teaspoon ground cumin1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Monday 28th of June 2021
Made this to use as a sauce for Shrimp with Chipotle Cream sauce. I had this recently ly at a Mexican restaurant, and the sauce tasted the same. I put the cream over the cooked shrimp, added a couple tablespoons of chicken stock and heated through. Very tasty.
Monday 28th of June 2021
Thanks so much! We're glad you enjoyed it. Have a wonderful week. :)