A simple chipotle cream sauce recipe using a special blend of spices, chipotle paste, and sour cream. Try this savory sauce on tacos, bowls, and salads!
Nothings tops a burrito, taco, or nachos quite like a spicy cream sauce. For today's post, we're sharing our simple chipotle cream sauce.
Best of all, our chipotle sauce only takes a few minutes to prepare. Also, you don't need any fancy tools or gadgets to whip up this condiment.
What is chipotle sauce made of?
There are many types of chipotle sauces. However, it seems most traditional sauces are made of chipotle peppers, Mexican crema, fresh garlic, and freshly squeezed lime juice.
Regional adaptations have been created all over the United States based on local ingredients like sour cream, mayonnaise, and canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
Looking for recipe to make that uses this sauce? Then, take a look at our grilled shrimp with chipotle sauce.
How to make our chipotle cream sauce?
First, grab a small to medium sized mixing bowl and a whisk. After that, add the sour cream to the bowl. Next, add in the lime juice, chipotle paste (or powder), garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, and salt.
Last, use a whisk to combine all the ingredients into a rich and creamy sauce. That's it, the recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the sauce and we wish you all the best 🙂
Chipotle Cream Sauce Notes and Tips:
- A canned chipotle pepper may also be used in this recipe. However, the ingredients will need to be processed in a blender or food processor. Also, you can use a partial or whole pepper depending on how spicy you’d like the sauce.
- The amount of chipotle paste or powder in the recipe will determine how spicy your sauce will turn out.
- Additionally, if you use a canned pepper, the adobo sauce in the can adds the flavors of paprika, oregano, salt, and vinegar. Creating a unique taste similar to an adobo chipotle sauce.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- ½ cup sour cream, or mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon chipotle paste, (see notes in post for adobo chipotle sauce)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt, pinch
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.½ cup sour cream2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice1 teaspoon chipotle paste½ teaspoon garlic powder¼ teaspoon onion powder⅛ teaspoon chili powder⅛ teaspoon ground cumin⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.