If you’re craving a cheesy breakfast recipe then try our Instant Pot frittata with with ham, cheese, mushrooms, peppers, and onions!
Sometimes you just need a cheesy frittata to start your day. Who can blame you? Eggs, cheese, and bacon, ham or sausage are pretty much breakfast staples in the U.S.
For today’s recipe, Kim has combined some of those ingredients along with crunchy peppers and onions to create an Instant Pot frittata sure please any breakfast lover.
Best of all, this ham frittata recipe serves up to 6 people and is done in less than an hour. Kim and I like to serve this cheesy frittata with crispy oven baked potatoes, air fryer cinnamon rolls, or flaky homemade buttermilk biscuits.
How to make an Instant Pot frittata?
First, start by chopping and dicing the ham, onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Shed the cheese and divide it.
Next, grab the 7-inch pressure cooker insert pan and generously spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Line it with parchment paper and set it aside.
After that, crack the eggs and add them to a large mixing bowl. Pour in the milk and toss in a pinch of salt and pepper.
Whisk the ingredients together. Now, add in the ham, bell pepper, onions, mushrooms and half of the shredded cheddar cheese (1/2-cup).
Stir everything together. Then, bring over the 7-inch pan you greased earlier. It’s time to transfer the ham and frittata mixture to the pan.
Carefully, pour the mixture into the dish and cover with aluminum foil. Set it aside for now.
First, place the stainless steel insert into your Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Next, add 1-cup of water to the insert.
At this point, you can transfer the covered frittata mixture to a trivet with handles. Gently, using the handles, lower the trivet (with the covered pan) into the stainless steel insert.
Use the photo above as a reference. Once done, check to make sure the rubber seal is properly seated in the inside of the lid.
Place the lid onto the machine and lock it into place. Close the valve on top and press the high pressure or manual cook button.
You want to let the cheese and ham frittata pressure cook for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off, let it naturally release for 10 minutes.
Afterward, using a kitchen towel, carefully open the valve to release the rest of the pressure.
Open the machine and use the towel to lift the trivet (with the pan) out of the Instant Pot. Remove the foil and run a knife along the inside edge of the dish, releasing the frittata.
Place a large plate on top of the dish and flip the dish upside down. This motion should cause the Instant Pot frittata to pop out of the dish and onto the plate.
Last, pull away the parchment paper and sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheese over the breakfast frittata. The heat from the cooked eggs and ham should melt the cheese. That’s it, slice it into servings and enjoy!
Kim and I hope you like our cheesy ham frittata recipe and wish you all the best 🙂 If you don’t have a pressure cooker, then try our Southwest Style Quiche!
What’s the difference between a frittata and an omelette?
The main difference is that an omelette usually consists of one or more eggs, cooked in a pan over high-heat, and then stuffed with (or folded over) filling that’s been cooked separately.
Whereas, a frittata is a baked egg dish in which the filling ingredients are cooked with the eggs (as opposed to separately and used as a stuffing). Also, unlike omelettes, a frittata can be served at room temperature.
Instant Pot Frittata with HamPrint Save Saved! Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 8 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Milk (half and half or heavy cream)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 Cup Ham (precooked, diced)
- 1 Cup Bell Pepper (any variety you like)
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded and divided)
- 1/2 Cup White Onion (diced)
- 1/2 Cup Mushrooms (slice or diced)
- 1 Cup Water (for the Instant Pot)
- Grease a 7-inch, pressure cooker safe pan or dish generously with butter or cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Add the ham, bell peppers, ½ cup of cheese, onion, and mushrooms. Stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and cover with aluminum foil.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the stainless steel insert of the Instant Pot. Place the pan with the frittata mixture onto a trivet with handles and lower into the stainless steel insert. Close the lid, set the valve to “sealing,” and press the manual (pressure cook) button. Adjust the time to 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes is up, allow a 10 minute natural pressure release before opening the valve to release any remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and carefully remove the trivet and pan. Take the foil off the pan, and run a sharp knife around the inside edge to loosen the frittata. Place a plate or serving platter over the pan and gently flip the pan and plate upside down. The frittata should release from the pan.
- Remove the parchment paper and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup shredded cheese on the top. Allow the cheese to melt with the residual heat of the frittata or microwave for a few seconds until the cheese is melted completely. (Alternatively, leave the frittata in the pan, and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Return the frittata to the Instant Pot, close the lid, and use the “keep warm” function to melt the cheese.)
- Serve hot and store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.