This easy recipe for Hash Brown Waffles shows you how to create a waffle using shredded breakfast potatoes! Serve them alongside breakfast or dinner with a dollop of sour cream or dunk in ketchup for a fun alternative to traditional hash browns.
If you’re looking for a new and exciting way to perk up your breakfast, try making hash browns in your waffle maker!
Hash Brown Waffles are shredded potatoes that have been seasoned with herbs and spices and have green onion and bacon added to the mix. They are cooked in a waffle maker to create a condensed waffle shape that is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
You can serve these crispy potato cakes alongside savory breakfast foods with a serving of ketchup for dipping. They can also be used as a side dish for lunch or dinner when you’re craving the comforting flavor of cooked potatoes. Add a dollop of sour cream on top for a savory treat.
These hash brown waffles are versatile and can be seasoned in many different ways. They’re fun to make and use simple ingredients!
How To Make Hash Brown Waffles
- Make sure the plates on your waffle maker are clear from any food debris. Preheat to medium-high heat according to your waffle maker’s instructions.
- While the waffle maker is preheating. Add the eggs to a large bowl and whisk until smooth and combined. Add in the dry seasonings and whisk until combined.
- To the eggs, add the cheese, onions, and bacon. Give it a stir to combine, then add in the frozen hash browns making sure to stir and evenly combine.
- Spray the waffle maker with non-stick cooking spray, then add one cup to the bottom. Close the top side and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the waffle is a light golden color.
- Carefully remove the cooked waffle from the waffle maker and add to a plate or serving dish. Serve with more freshly chopped green onions, ketchup, or sour cream.
Hash Brown Waffles Tips
- If your hash brown waffles don’t crisp up, consider thawing the frozen potatoes or use freshly shredded potatoes.
- If your hash brown waffles are too dry, you can add some more shredded cheese to the mix.
- Always spray the waffle maker before cooking each waffle to ensure it does not stick to the cooking plate.
- The waffle will be very hot once it’s finished cooking. Use tongs or a fork to carefully lift the waffle from the maker.
- You can change up the herbs and spices in this recipe to create different flavors. Try using Greek seasoning, Cajun seasoning, or spicy cayenne pepper.
- Try using Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, or onion powder for a more intense flavor profile.
- Add in a shredded carrot or zucchini for some extra color and nutrients.
- You can also add other shredded meats to the hash brown mixture such as cooked ham, turkey, or chicken to add protein and flavor.
- Add in some chopped green bell peppers or broccoli for a bit of crunch and additional nutrients.
- If you’re looking for a sweeter version, try adding in some brown sugar or maple syrup. Omit the onion and savory herbs.
Storing and Freezing
Storing: If you have any leftover hash brown waffles, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
Freezing: If you want to freeze your hash brown waffles, place them on a baking sheet and flash freeze for about two hours. Once frozen, transfer them to a resealable freezer bag or container. They will last in the freezer for up to two months. To reheat, place them in the microwave for a couple of minutes or until heated through.
Hash Brown WafflesPrint Save Saved! Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded off the block
- 6 green onions sliced
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 26 ounces frozen shredded hash browns 1 bag
- Preheat the waffle maker to medium high heat according to the manufacturer directions.
- In the meantime, whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Then add the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and paprika.4 large eggs1 teaspoon Italian seasoning½ teaspoon kosher salt½ teaspoon ground black pepper½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Stir in the cheese, onions and bacon, and finally stir in the hash browns.½ cup cheddar cheese6 green onions6 slices bacon26 ounces frozen shredded hash browns
- Generously spray the waffle maker with non-stick spray, add 1 cup of the hash brown mixture to the waffle maker. Close down the top side.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the top turns a light golden color.
- Serve with freshly chopped green onions, sour cream or ketchup if desired.