*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
These fluffy American pancakes are pillowy, moist, and buttery. Each pancake is cooked to a perfect golden brown with a crispy, crunchy edge.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE fluffy American pancakes. I have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to this breakfast favorite.
Maybe I like them so much because I’ve been eating them for 35+ years. John is also a huge fan of pancakes, too. (Although, I think he prefers French toast!) When combined with a little butter and real maple syrup, it’s a meal that cannot be missed.
We used to go out and eat them all the time at a well-known pancake house. However, as the years have gone by, John started to prefer mine over the restaurant versions.
With that being said, I don’t get to make them as often as I like. But when I do, this fluffy American pancakes recipe is the only one I use.
They are my absolute favorite. Furthermore. I hope you give this recipe a try. Hopefully, you will enjoy them as much as we do in our household. How about we get started?!
How to Make Fluffy American Pancakes:
- First, start by making the batter. Simply, combine all the ingredients in a stand mixer and blend until well combined. The batter should still be smooth and not overly thick.
- Next, you can place the batter in your fridge to rest while you preheat a skillet over medium heat. Now, refrigerating the batter is optional, so feel free to leave it out on the counter while you prep the skillet for cooking.
- After that, once the skillet is warm, melt one tablespoon of butter in the pan. It should only take a few seconds for the butter to melt. Sometimes, I will lift the skillet off the heat and tilt it back and forth so the butter forms a nice even coating of fat. This action will create a crispy crust on the fluffy American pancakes and it tastes delicious!
- Then, remove the batter from your fridge and using a measuring cup to pour 1/4 cup of batter into the hot pan. Feel free to use a larger measurement, while it may increase the size of your cakes, it will reduce the number of pancakes this recipe makes.
- Now, let the pancake cook on one side until you see bubbles form in the batter and the edges begin to crisp. Once you see those things happen, you know the pancake is halfway done. Go ahead and flip the cake and allow it to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Last, remove the fluffy American pancake from the pan and repeat the process until all the batter is gone. Be sure to serve them with butter and maple syrup or honey. Also, you could use a fruit topping as well. I believe we have at least two different toppings on our website to choose from including strawberry, blueberry, and a simple lemon pastry filling.
How to Make the Best Buttermilk Pancakes:
- Make sure to mix the batter well so there are no lumps.
- Melted butter in the pan helps fry the edges around the fluffy American pancakes.
- You can use these pancakes to make breakfast wraps loaded with bacon, eggs, and sausage.
Want more pancake recipe? Here are some:
- Dutch Baby Pancake
- Ham, Egg, and Cheese Pancake Sliders
- Blueberry Pancakes Topped with Homemade Blueberry Compote
Fluffy American Pancakes
- 1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 Cup buttermilk
- 1/4 Cup melted butter plus more for cooking (1/2 stick)
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla
- Use a stand or hand mixer to combine all ingredients. The batter should be smooth and not too thick.
- Preheat a skillet on low-medium heat. (We like to use cast iron.)
- Melt teaspoon butter in skillet.
- Place 1/4 cup of batter in skillet and cook until bubbles begin to form.
- After bubbles form and edges start to crisp, flip the pancake to cook the other side.
- Cook opposite side until golden brown then remove from pan.
- Repeat process until all the batter is gone.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup.