This Spaghetti Pie is the perfect dish to make on a Sunday afternoon or any night of the week. Cooked spaghetti is baked with Italian sausage and pasta sauce for a full meal that’s warm and comforting. It’s simple, hearty, and most importantly – delicious!
While there are many ways to enjoy spaghetti, turning it into a delicious pie has to be on the top of the list. To make baked spaghetti, you’ll simply need spaghetti, Italian sausage, pasta sauce, and mozzarella cheese.
Everything gets cooked and mixed together with a layer of cottage cheese and mozzarella on top. Bake it up and serve in slices for a great twist on traditional spaghetti.
This pie is perfect for a family dinner or get-together and can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a larger group.
There’s nothing quite like spending time with family, relaxing, and enjoying a home-cooked meal. And this spaghetti pie is the perfect dish to bring everyone together. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or just starting out, this recipe is easy to follow and will have your family asking for seconds!
How To Make Spaghetti Pie
- Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 375°F, and spray a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the sausage and onion: Add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and onion and saute using a spatula to break up the sausage. Cook until the sausage is cooked through and the onion is soft.
- Add the pasta and sauce: To the skillet, add the pasta sauce and garlic cloves. Bring the heat down to a simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Make the binding mix: While the sauce is simmering, add the butter, spaghetti, Italian herbs, and salt into a bowl. Stir to fully combine. Then, add the parmesan cheese and eggs until mixed through and completely coated.
- Par bake the pasta: Press the cooked pasta into the prepared baking dish and make a divet in the center. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Combine the cheeses: Stir the mozzarella with the cottage cheese until fully combined and set aside.
- Assemble the spaghetti pie: Pour the sausage and pasta sauce mixture into the center of the spaghetti pie. Spread it out evenly, then spread the cottage cheese mixture on top. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake and serve: Return the spaghetti pie to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until it’s warmed through and the cheese is fully melted and bubbly. Slice and serve with a garnish of fresh parsley.
- Make sure you follow the directions for your individual box of pasta as they all are different.
- Your sausage should be cooked most of the way through when browning. The rest of the cooking will happen in the oven and as the sauce is simmering.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for a larger crowd.
- Consider serving this spaghetti pie with a side salad or some cheesy garlic bread.
- If your spaghetti pie is looking a bit too dry when it’s done, add a spoonful of pasta sauce to each slice before serving.
- Try using ground beef or turkey in place of the sausage.
- If you’re not a fan of cottage cheese, replace it with ricotta cheese.
- Add some sauteed mushrooms to the spaghetti pie for an extra layer of flavor and texture.
- Swap out the mozzarella cheese for cheddar, brie, or gouda.
- Add a layer of cooked ground beef or turkey before the spaghetti and sauce for an even heartier dish.
- Give it some spice by adding crushed red pepper flakes to the sausage and sauce mixture.
- Make a vegetarian spaghetti pie by omitting the sausage and leaving the meat out completely. You can add additional vegetables to create more volume and texture.
Yes, just use your favorite gluten-free spaghetti and cook according to the package instructions. Also, be sure to check your labels on other ingredients used.
Yes, you can assemble the spaghetti pie completely (minus the cheese) and store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking. You can also freeze it after assembling for up to two months. Just let it thaw overnight in the fridge before baking.
Storing and Freezing
Storing: This spaghetti pie can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freezing: To freeze cooked and cooled spaghetti pie, wrap it tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place it in a freezer-safe bag. It will last for up to two months in the freezer. To thaw, unwrap the spaghetti pie and let it sit on the counter for several hours or in the refrigerator overnight before reheating in the oven.
Spaghetti PiePrint Save Saved! Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage any variety
- ½ cup white onion diced
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles cooked according to the package instructions
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated off the block
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup mozzarella cheese grated off the block and divided
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, and spray a 9-inch deep dish pie pan with non-stick olive oil spray. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat then add the sausage and onion. Use a spatula to break up the sausage until it’s cooked through and the onion starts to soften.2 tablespoons olive oil1 pound Italian sausage½ cup white onion
- Stir in the pasta sauce and garlic, reduce the heat, and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until it reduces significantly.2 cups pasta sauce3 garlic cloves
- While the sausage is cooking, stir the cooked spaghetti, butter, Italian herbs and salt together in a large bowl.8 ounces spaghetti noodles1 tablespoon unsalted butter1 teaspoon Italian herbs½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Add the parmesan cheese and eggs, and stir until completely combined.1 cup parmesan cheese2 large eggs
- Press the pasta into the pie dish, making a crevasse in the middle then bake for 15 minutes.
- Stir 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and cottage cheese together in a small bowl and set aside.½ cup cottage cheese
- Pour the sausage mixture into the pasta crust and spread it out then evenly spread the cottage cheese mixture on top.
- Sprinkle on the remaining ½ cup of mozzarella cheese then bake for 15-20 more minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly on top.
- Slice and serve with freshly chopped parsley for garnish if desired. See post for storage options.