*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheesy Garlic Bread is soft, buttery bread slathered with garlic spread, then topped with shredded cheese. This bread is perfect is an appetizer, side dish, or a quick snack.
Cheesy garlic bread is something that John and I have been making for well over a decade. We love French and Italian loaves, but if we didn’t use them for something specific they usually got stale.
We decided to start using the bread to make other recipes like homemade croutons, jalapeno popper bread, and this cheesy garlic bread. Not only did it help with food waste, but the recipes are easy and tasty!
Out of all those recipes, garlic bread is the one we make most often. It starts with a homemade garlic butter spread, two types of shredded cheese, and a sprinkle of smoked paprika that sets this cheesy garlic bread apart from the rest.
How to Make Cheesy Garlic Bread:
Preheat the oven, and line a large baking sheet with foil. For this recipe, we use a large, 14 ounce loaf of Italian or French bread.
That may not sound like a lot in weight, but check the packaging. We go by the weight listed on the package, and that yields a huge loaf.
Cut the loaf in half horizontally (lengthwise), and place both pieces side-by-side on the baking sheet.
In a small bowl, combine the softened butter, garlic, fresh parsley, salt, and onion powder. Use a spatula to apply half the garlic butter to each piece of bread.
Be sure to spread the butter evenly, and go all the way to the edges. Sprinkle each piece of bread with shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
I make one with mozzarella and one with Parmesan, but you can do a little of both cheeses on each slice if you’d like. Top the cheese with dried parsley and smoked paprika.
Bake in a preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted. If desired, place the bread in the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes to brown the top of the cheese.
Remove the bread from the oven, slice, and serve. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
What do you eat with cheesy garlic bread?
Can you use a different kind of cheese?
Yes, definitely! We tend to use mozzarella and Parmesan most of the time, but use whatever type of cheese you have on hand.
Some good options are cheddar, Gruyere, Colby, or a cheese blend.
Can you used jarred garlic?
Jarred garlic works great for cheesy garlic bread. It’s a little faster than mincing fresh garlic, and it gives the bread a briny flavor.
Can you use a different type of bread?
Don’t forget to check out our Homemade Garlic Bread web story!
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 14 Ounce French or Italian Loaf, sliced lengthwise
- 8 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Garlic, minced or pressed (about 6 small cloves)
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- ½ Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- ¼ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley
- ½ Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Place both halves of bread on the baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, garlic, fresh parsley, salt, and onion powder. Spread the garlic butter mixture evenly over both bread halves.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese, dried parsley, and smoked paprika over each piece of bread.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese is melted. To brown the cheese, place the bread in the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Enjoy warm, and store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 slice of garlic bread. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 333mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.