We combined Monterrey Jack, cheddar, and cream cheese with fresh jalapenos to create this melty, cheesy jalapeno popper bread.
Kim has wanted to share this recipe with everyone for quite awhile. However, we had to wait until after Christmas. It's not really a holiday recipe.
This jalapeno popper bread features cream cheese, sour cream, fresh peppers, and 2 kinds of shredded cheese. It's similar to our cheesy garlic bread except it has different toppings.
Basically, it has all the flavors of a jalapeno popper, served on a toasted French loaf. The fresh jalapenos add a flavorful crunch to the smooth and creamy filling.
How to make jalapeno popper bread?
First, line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and preheat your oven to 350°F.
After that, slice the French bread lengthwise and brush it with melted butter.
Next, place the bread on the sheet pan and bake it for 8-10 minutes. Just long enough to toast a little.
Meanwhile, while the bread bakes, place the cream cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
Combine the ingredients into a creamy filling. Afterward, stir in the shredded cheddar and Monterrey Jack cheeses.
Then, spread the filling over the toasted French bread. Return the bread to the oven to bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cream cheese is bubbly.
Last, remove the bread from the oven, slice it into 12-pieces, and serve hot.
That's it, your jalapeno popper bread is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best 🙂
Recipe Tips and Variations:
- If you leave the jalapeno seeds and membranes intact, then filling will be much spicier.
- Adding extra spices like cumin and chili powder to the filling will give the popper bread a Tex-Mex flavor.
- Use a hand mixer to combine the cream cheese and other ingredients.
Can I freeze jalapeno popper bread?
Absolutely, when properly stored in your freezer, it should last for up to 2-months.
How long does jalapeno popper bread last?
Leftovers can be stored, in a sealed container, in your fridge for up to 3-days.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 1 Loaf of French bread, We used a 14 ounce loaf.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces block-style cream cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded off the block
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 2 jalapeños, deseeded, membranes removed, and 2 tablespoons reserved
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Brush 1 ½ tablespoons of melted butter over each piece of French bread. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the bread is toasted. While the bread toasts, make the cream cheese topping.1 Loaf of French bread3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, Monterrey Jack cheese, sour cream, jalapenos (reserve 2 tablespoons), garlic powder, salt, and onion powder.8 ounces block-style cream cheese1 cup cheddar cheese1 cup Monterey jack cheese4 ounces sour cream2 jalapeños1 teaspoon garlic powder½ teaspoon kosher salt¼ teaspoon onion powder
- After the bread toasts, remove it from the oven and spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over each piece. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons jalapenos.
- Place the bread back in the oven for 10 to 15 more minutes until the cream cheese mixture melts a bit.
- Slice each piece into 6 pieces, and serve warm. Store the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.