Firecracker Recipe – Easy to make and no bake at that, this Firecracker Recipe is the perfect afternoon snack! Classic saltines are amped up with a burst of ranch flavor, savory garlic, and spicy red pepper flakes to fire these crackers up. Great for an easy party appetizer or just for something to snack on, this recipe is simple and utterly addictive!
Saltines with a kick, this Firecracker Recipe (also known as Alabama Fire Crackers) takes a traditional snack and punch it up with added flavor. This recipe is made even easier because it’s no bake (although you can toast them in the oven if you really want to).
Simply add the crackers, add the seasoning, add the oil, and shake shake shake! Let it all sit to absorb the flavor and oil, and there you have it! Perfectly poppable, you won’t be able to eat just one of these bad boys. Luckily, this recipe calls for all four sleeves of saltines so there’s plenty to share!
This recipe is perfect to make ahead for parties and family functions. Prepare the night before and by morning, you’ve got everyone’s new favorite appetizer! Great for game days, parties, or simply snacking on the couch with your favorite tv show or movie.
Friends and family alike will be begging for the recipe and won’t believe how simple this firecracker recipe is to make! So let’s get to it!
How to Make Firecracker Recipe
- Open all the sleeves of saltine crackers and place the crackers in a sealable bag or container. Set aside.
- Now in a small mixing bowl, whisk together the canola oil, ranch seasoning packet, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Pour the liquid mixture into the container or bag of crackers.
- For one hour, every 10-15 minutes, carefully rotate the container or bag to coat the crackers. Make sure all crackers are fully coated and no residual oil mixture is left.
- Let the crackers sit for about 8 hours or leave overnight. Serve as a snack or an appetizer and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Ditch the traditional saltines crumbled over chili and soup, use this firecracker recipe instead to add even more flavor!
- Red pepper not to your taste? Easily dial down the flavor by skipping this ingredient. Or for the heat lovers, add more.
- Try oyster crackers over saltines for a more bite sized version. Although you will need to adjust the amount of oil so the smaller crackers don’t turn out soggy.
- For additional crunch, you can toast these crackers in the oven at 200°F for about 20 minutes.
- Try switching the ranch packet for another flavor combination to customize this snack for any flavor pallet. Try lemon pepper, smokey paprika and BBQ, turmeric and ginger. The possibilities can’t be beat!
Storage and Reheating
Storage: This Alabama Firecracker Recipe will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. If they can last that long in your kitchen!
- 1 pound saltine crackers, 4 sleeves
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 ounce packet ranch seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Place the crackers into a gallon-size resealable bag or container. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, ranch seasoning, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder. Pour the mixture into the container with the crackers.
- Carefully rotate the container or bag to coat the crackers. Repeat every 10 to 15 minutes for an hour, until the crackers are well coated and no residual oil mixture remains.
- Allow the crackers to sit 8 hours or up to overnight. Serve as a snack.
- See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 10 firecracker crackers. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 10 crackers
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 404mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.