*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe for sausage and peppers crostini is a simple appetizer combining the classic flavors of Italian sausage, sweet peppers, and spicy onions, topped with savory mozzarella.
The big game is almost upon us and now is the perfect time for appetizers! However, with the holidays just ending, nobody wants to stand in the kitchen all day just to whip up a quick snack.
That’s why Kim and I are sharing our simple recipe for sausage and peppers crostini.
In less than an hour, you have a delicious, bite-sized app loaded with sweet or spicy Italian sausage, sweet green and red peppers, spicy onions, and savory melted mozzarella cheese.
It doesn’t get much better than this for quick game day eats. We can’t wait for you to try them.
First, preheat your oven to 350° F. and slice your baguette, then wash and cut the onions, and peppers into strips.
Next, saute the Italian sausage in a skillet over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until the sausage is almost done.
After that, add the onions and peppers to the skillet and cook everything for an additional 7-8 minutes or until the peppers and onions are soft.
Now, place the baguette slices on a sheet pan and put them in the oven for 3-5 minutes so the bread can toast. Remove the crostinis from the oven and set them aside.
Afterward, slice and layer the sausage, sweet peppers, white onions, and shredded mozzarella cheese on the toasted crostinis.
Last, place them in the oven to bake for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted. Remove the finished appetizer and serve immediately.
Recipe for Sausage and Peppers Crostini Tips:
- To reduce the fat in this dish, try using turkey sausage or low-fat mozzarella cheese.
- When slicing the peppers, make sure to remove all the white portions inside of the pepper. If left in, they will make the peppers taste bitter.
- For a crisp casing on the sausage, preheat your saute pan for 2-4 minutes before adding the raw sausage. The hot pan will sear the meat, locking in all the juices.
If you like our Recipe for Sausage and Peppers Crostini, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram searching for Berly’s Kitchen!
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 2 Links Italian Sausage, (spicy or sweet)
- 1 Large Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Large Sweet Red Pepper
- 1 Medium Whit Onion
- 3/4 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, (shredded)
- 1/4 Loaf Baguette, (French or Italian)
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. and slice your baguette, then wash and cut the onions, and peppers into strips.
- Next, saute the sausage in a skillet over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side.
- After that, add the onions and peppers to the skillet and cook everything for an additional 7-8 minutes or until the peppers and onions are soft.
- Now, place the baguette slices on a sheet pan and put them in the oven for 3-5 minutes for the bread to toast, remove them from the oven and set them aside.
- Afterward, layer the sausage, peppers, onions, and mozzarella cheese on the toasted crostinis.
- Last, place them in the oven to bake for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted. Remove the finished appetizer and serve immediately.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients and a serving size of two crostinis. Serve the appetizer while it is hot and storage is not recommended as the grease from the sausage will make the bread soggy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 Crostinis
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g