This post is sponsored by Del Monte Fresh Produce but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Our banana pineapple smoothie is a delicious healthier alternative that's made in advance and prepared in minutes. It's the perfect after school snack!
School is back in session and that means every afternoon thousands of kiddos will come home in need of a snack.
While there are tons of options out there, how can you be sure you're giving your child something that's tasty and provides nutrients?
Well, thanks to Del Monte Fresh Produce, we came up with the perfect solution. They sent us fresh fruit to create today's awesome recipe.
In our opinion, a banana pineapple smoothie tastes great and has lots of wonderful vitamins and nutrients.
Additionally, we feel, it's a better alternative to salty or sugary packaged snack mixes.
So, we used Del Monte Gold(R) Pineapples and Del Monte bananas to create a smoothie that's perfectly portioned for little ones.
Best of all, since they're prepared in advance, there's no hassle when it comes to snack time. Shall we get started?
How to make a banana pineapple smoothie?
Now, you'll need to freeze the fruit in order for this recipe to work as intended.
First, line two (2) sheet pans with parchment paper and set them aside. Next, peel and slice the bananas. Use the pictures we provided as a reference.
After that, place the Del Monte banana slices onto one of the pans and set it aside.
Then, skin the Del Monte Gold(R) pineapple and remove it's core. Cut it into small chunks and place the pieces onto the other sheet pan.
It's important to let the fruit freeze for at least two (2) hours before moving on to the next step.
When everything is properly frozen, it's time to portion out the ingredients. Grab about six (6) small freezer bags and a marker.
Afterward, place half (½) a cup of Del Monte bananas and three-fourths (¾) of a cup of Del Monte Gold(R) pineapple chunks into each bag.
Use the marker to label the amount of liquid needed to create the banana pineapple smoothie.
For this recipe, we used half (½) a cup of dairy milk. However, if your child is allergic to dairy, feel free to use almond or coconut milk.
Once everything is portioned into bags, place them into your freezer so they can be used at anytime.
Blending the banana pineapple smoothie:
When your child is ready for a snack, simply grab one bag of fruit and your choice of liquid.
Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend them into a smooth and creamy smoothie.
That's it, your banana pineapple smoothie is ready to serve. Just think, as your kiddos get older, they'll be able to make this after school snack for themselves.
In closing, we'd like to thank Del Monte Fresh Produce for providing us with the fruit. Also, thank you for stopping by and visiting us at Berly's Kitchen!
How long can you freeze fruit?
Since we didn't use any additives or preservatives for this recipe, I feel it would last about two (2) weeks (or fourteen ((14)) days) in your freezer.
What can I add to my smoothie?
Anything you want, really. Smoothies, like most foods, are based on preference.
Some people might add shaved coconut or papaya to this recipe. While others might want to add fresh ginger or turmeric.
It just depends on what you prefer. Personally, I recommend experimenting to find your own unique flavor combinations.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 3 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 pineapple, cored and chopped
- 3 cups milk
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or wax paper (wax paper works better). Set aside.
- Peel the bananas and cut them into ½ -inch thick circles. Place the pieces on a baking sheet and transfer to the freezer. Freeze for at least 2 hours or until completely frozen.3 bananas
- Cut the outer layer off the pineapple and core the center. Dice the pineapple into ½ inch chunks and place on a baking sheet. Freeze for at least 2 hours or until completely frozen.1 pineapple
- After both the banana slices and pineapple chunks are frozen, remove them from the freezer and divide them into airtight zipper bags. Place ½ cup banana slices into each bag and ¾ cup of pineapple chunks into each bag. Press the air out of each bag and zip closed. Transfer the bags back to the freezer until they’re ready to be used.
- When you’re ready to make a smoothie, place the contents of 1 bag into the blender. Add ½ cup of milk or liquid of choice. Blend until smooth and serve immediately.3 cups milk