*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Making homemade granola bars has never been easier! All it takes is a little know-how and some old fashioned oats and goodies to create a snack you’ll love.
Granola bars have been a guilty pleasure of mine since childhood. Of course, back then, I preferred the ones dipped in chocolate. You know the brand I’m referring to, right?
They were amazing. However, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned to appreciate more refined ingredients. So, I’m much more likely to reach for these homemade granola bars.
They’re simple to prepare and taste great. Best of all, I can decide what to put into the bar. I’ll provide a list of possible goodies below. In the meantime, let’s get started.
Homemade Granola Bars Instructions:
To get started, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. and line an eight by eight (8×8) inch baking dish with parchment paper. You’ll need to use a little non-stick cooking spray on the paper, as well.
Next, using a different sheet pan, bake the oats in the oven for about nine (9) minutes. That way, they toast a little before you use them in the bars.
Once the oats are done, toss them into a large mixing bowl and set them aside. After that, grab a small saucepan and place it over medium-low heat.
Add the honey, butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt to the saucepan. Mix the ingredients together as they melt.
Then, pour the sticky mixture over the oats and use a rubber spatula to mix everything together.
Now, take a break, because the oats need to cool for about twenty minutes.
When the mixture has cooled, you can toss in the chocolate chips and stir the ingredients.
What can I put in granola bars?
It depends on what kind of granola bars you enjoy. For us, we like chocolate, so, we used chocolate chips. Below is list of a few popular goodies:
- White chocolate chips
- Almonds (chopped or slivers)
- Dried Cranberries
- Chocolate candies (M&M’s, Reese’s Pieces, etc.)
- Peanut Butter Chips
- Walnuts (chopped)
- Ground Cinnamon
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
Now that you have the granola mixed, it’s time to transfer it to a pan. Spread the ingredients (evenly) into your prepared eight by eight (8×8) inch pan.
Place the granola bars into your fridge to chill for at least two (2) hours.
Last, when the granola bars have chilled, remove them from the fridge. Take them out of the pan (by lifting out the parchment paper) and cut them into bars or squares.
That’s it, your homemade granola bars are done! Kim and I hope you enjoy them and wish you all the best 🙂
- 8×8 Inch Baking Dish
- Small Saucepan
- Rubber Spatula
- Cutting Board
- Mixing Bowl
- Large Sheet Pan
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Parchment Paper
Are granola bars healthy?
Again, it depends on what you put in them. Use common sense and select healthy ingredients. For example, chia seeds and almond slivers might be a healthier combination than say chocolate chips and peanuts.
Looking for more snacks?
Homemade Granola Bras Recipe
- 3 Cups Old Fashioned Oats (rolled oats)
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8 inch or 9 x 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper along the bottom and sides. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place the oats on a separate, small baking sheet in an even layer. Transfer the oats to the oven, and bake for 8-10 minutes or until they are lightly toasted. Remove the oats from the oven, and place in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, combine the honey, butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt. Cook until the sugar is completely dissolved and the butter is melted. Then pour the mixture over the toasted oats. Stir to combine. Let the mixture cool for 20-30 minutes, then stir in the mini chocolate chips. It’s possible some of the chips may melt a little, but that’s fine.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan, and use a silicone spatula to press the mixture into an even layer. Place the pan in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to chill.
- After the granola bars have chilled, remove them from the pan by gently pulling up the parchment paper. Use a sharp knife to cut even sized bars.