Move over potato chips, Air Fryer Pasta Chips are taking over! Pasta is boiled until al dente and then cooked in the air fryer for a crunchy chip that has a bit of chew giving them a perfect texture. Serve as a party appetizer with marinara dip or as a crunchy alternative to potato chips or crunchy snacks.
Viral food trends can be hit or miss, but these air fryer pasta chips are a hit! These pasta chips were made popular recently on social media and we just HAD to try them.
A pasta chip is made by cooking your favorite pasta to an al dente texture. This makes sure it has a bit of chewy bite to it. They are then cooked in the air fryer which gives them a layer of crispy texture on the outside.
The end result is a piece of pasta that is both crunchy and chewy and perfect for dipping! These pasta chips are great for parties! They make the perfect appetizer and go well with marinara or cheese sauce. You can also serve them as a crunchy alternative to fried potato chips.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Bow Tie Pasta (Farfalle) -This is one of our favorite pasta shapes. You can use any pasta shape you enjoy, but this bow tie pasta has a great chew to it that makes them perfect for air fryer pasta chips.
- Olive Oil - We use olive oil in this pasta recipe because it's a great way to add flavor and helps the chips stay seasoned and crispy.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese - Parmesan cheese adds a rich, salty flavor to the pasta.
- Dried Italian Seasoning - Italian seasoning is a great blend of Italian herbs that compliment pasta.
- Salt - We use salt to season the pasta chips and give them a bit of salty flavor.
How To Make Air Fryer Pasta Chips
- Cook the pasta: Cook your pasta al dente in boiling water according to the directions. Fully drain the pasta and add it to a large bowl.
- Season the pasta: To the bowl with the cooked pasta, add the olive oil, parmesan cheese, Italian herbs, and salt. Toss together until all of the pasta is well coated.
- Air fry the pasta: Add the seasoned pasta to the bottom of your air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook for 12-15 minutes at 400°F making sure to toss every 5 minutes for even cooking.
- Garnish & Serve: Remove the crispy pasta with tongs. Toss with fresh parsley and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Make sure the pasta is cooked al dente and not all the way. This will ensure that the inside has a chewy texture and the outside gets crispy.
- If your pasta is sticking together, it's likely because they are not coated enough with olive oil or Parmesan cheese. Toss them a bit more until all of the pasta is well coated.
- The pasta should be in a single layer at the bottom of your air fryer basket. If it doesn't fit, air fry in batches.
- If your pasta chips are not getting crispy enough, increase the cooking time by a few minutes and toss every few minutes.
- Do not use pasta that has been refrigerated or frozen for this recipe. Make sure the pasta is freshly cooked and dried well before cooking in the air fryer.
- We recommend using tongs or a smooth edged spatula when removing the pasta from the air fryer basket. This will prevent them from sticking together too much so you can get crispy pasta without worrying about breaking them apart.
- Omit the Parmesan cheese to make a vegan pasta chip.
- Add your favorite herbs and spices for different flavor options such as Italian, taco seasoning, or even garlic powder!
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce like marinara or ranch dressing. Try other dips too such as hummus, guacamole, blue cheese, or tzatziki sauce.
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to give it some spice!
- Make pasta chips with your favorite pasta shape like spaghetti, penne rigate, rotini, farfalle pasta bow ties, etc. Just make sure they are cooked al dente.
- Use gluten-free pasta to make pasta chips a gluten-free recipe.
Storing and Reheating
Storing: Pasta chips are best enjoyed right after you make them but can be stored at room temperature for up to 5 days if necessary.
Freezing: We don’t recommend freezing air fryer pasta chips.
Reheating: Reheat pasta chips in the oven or air fryer for a few minutes to restore crispiness.
What if my pasta chips aren’t getting crispy enough?
If the pasta chips are not crispy enough, increase the cooking time by a few minutes and toss every few minutes.
Do I need to boil the pasta first?
Yes! Pasta that has not been cooked beforehand will result in a burnt pasta chip as it needs moisture from being cooked and boiled.
Can I use flavored pasta?
We recommend sticking to plain pasta to make sure the flavorings don’t affect the cooking process. However, you can experiment with other seasonings!
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 12 ounces farfalle pasta, boiled until al dente then drained
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated off the block
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasonings
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Toss the pasta and olive oil together in a large bowl. Add the parmesan cheese, Italian herbs and salt, and toss again until completely combined.12 ounces farfalle pasta½ cup olive oil½ cup parmesan cheese2 teaspoons Italian seasonings½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Add the pasta to an air fryer basket, place it in the air fryer then cook for 12-15 minutes at 400°F, tossing every 5 minutes to ensure they all cook thoroughly.
- Serve with freshly minced parsley for garnish with a side of ranch dressing and marinara sauce for dipping.
- See post for storage options.