Cinnamon Twists are a sweet, fluffy, dippable sweet treat that’s perfect for breakfast, dessert, or as a snack. Best enjoyed warm out of the oven with my easy homemade vanilla icing on the side!
Easy Homemade Cinnamon Twists
Remember my Easy Homemade Cinnamon Rolls and Braided Jalapeno Cheddar Bread? These two popular recipes inspired me to combine the two, in a way, to create these homemade Cinnamon Twists! One of my better ideas, if I do say so myself.
- Cinnamon Sugar: Easily make this yourself by combining 1/3 cup of granulated sugar and just 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Feel free to use more if you like a stronger cinnamon flavor.
- Puff Pastry: Keep this Cinnamon Sticks recipe simple by using store-bought puff pastry!
- Butter: Unsalted, as the puff pastry will contain salt and you don’t want to take away the sweetness of the cinnamon sugar filling. Melt it, so it’s easy to spread with a pastry brush.
- Vanilla Icing: Simply whisk together 1 cup of powdered sugar, 2-4 tablespoons of milk (dairy-based or dairy-free), and 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.
How to Make Cinnamon Twists Using Puff Pastry
- Allow your refrigerated or frozen puff pastry to thaw to room temperature before making this Cinnamon Twists recipe. Once those have thawed, prepare two large baking sheets by lining with parchment paper. Set aside until time to bake.
- Then, in a small bowl, make the cinnamon sugar by combining the granulated sugar and ground cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Next, dust your countertop or baking prep surface with some flour, and roll the thawed puff pastry out to approximately ⅛ – ¼ inch thick. Then, use a pastry brush to apply half the melted butter to the puff pastry going all the way to the edges. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the melted butter on the puff pastry as evenly as possible, reaching to the edges.
- Cut the dough into 10 even strips using a pizza cutter or sharp knife. Then, fold each strip in half with the cinnamon sugar side is on the inside, twist until the entire piece is twisted, and then pinch the end slightly to seal it.
- Place the twists on the prepared baking sheets, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. (Longer, if possible.) In the meantime, preheat your oven to 400°F. Transfer the cinnamon twists to the oven, and bake for 18-22 minutes or until the twists are golden brown.
How to Make Easy Vanilla Icing
- While the cinnamon twists are cooling, make the vanilla icing by whisking together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in a small bowl until lump-free.
- Serve the twists drizzled with the vanilla frosting or separately to dunk with.
- Swap the cinnamon sugar-butter spread for nutella, chocolate ganache, or your favorite jam!
- Instead of cinnamon, use citrus zest like orange or lemon. Then swap fresh juice from the same fruit for the milk in the vanilla icing.
- If icing the cinnamon twists instead of dunking them, do so on a wire rack and let them drain, cool, and harden a bit before serving. Less messy!
- Sprinkle some chopped, crispy bacon on top of the cinnamon sugar-butter spread before twisting, and add some maple syrup to the icing for a fun breakfast pastry!
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating Instructions
Room Temperature: Leftover twists may be stored at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Refrigerator: Store the vanilla frosting in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Fully baked cinnamon twists can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freezer: You may freeze prepared, unbaked or par-cooked cinnamon twists to bake later, if desired. Allow to thaw completely before baking.
Reheating: Enjoy these cinnamon twists at room temperature or toast in the oven at 325°F for 7 minutes or so until warmed through, but not dried out. You can also microwave them at 30-second intervals.
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed per box directions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 - 4 tablespoons milk, adjusted to reach desired consistency
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- This recipe requires 2 thawed sheets of puff pastry. Please do that before starting the recipe.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar. Set aside.
- Dust a small amount of flour on a countertop, and roll out the thawed puff pastry to about ⅛ - ¼ inch thick. Use a pastry brush to apply half the melted butter to the puff pastry going all the way to the edges.
- Sprinkle half the cinnamon sugar over the melted butter, and spread it as evenly as possible. Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut the puff pastry into 10 even strips longways.
- Fold each strip in half, so the cinnamon sugar side is on the inside. Gently twist the folded puff pastry until the entire piece is twisted, then pinch the end slightly to seal it closed.
- Place the twists on the prepared baking sheets, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or longer if possible. This is important, because it helps to keep the twists from unrolling while they bake.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F while the twists are in the refrigerator. After 30 minutes, transfer the cinnamon twists to the oven, and bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until the twists are golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, 1 - 2 tablespoons of milk, and vanilla. Whisk to combine, and add additional milk to reach the desired consistency.
- Serve the twists with vanilla frosting. Leftover twists may be stored in the refrigerator or at room temperature for up to 4 days. The frosting should be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 2 twists. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 2 twists
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 19mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.