Tater Tots Nachos are the perfect mix of tater tots and nachos. Baked tater tots are topped with seasoned ground beef, jalapenos, tomatoes, avocadoes, and sour cream.
Tater Tot Nachos, or “Totchos” as many people call them, are a fun spin on traditional nachos. We swapped out the tortilla chips for baked tater tots, then piled on the toppings.
Totchos are similar to our loaded potato nachos. Both use a form of potatoes as the base, but the toppings are a little different.
Tater tot nachos are crazy easy to make but do take a bit of time to cook the ingredients. They make a decent amount, so there’s plenty to share.
How to Make Tater Tot Nachos with Ground Beef:
The key to preparing totchos more quickly is multitasking and getting the ingredients prepped ahead of time.
Place the frozen tater tots on a large baking sheet, and bake according to the package directions. While the tater tots bake, cook the ground beef.
Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef, half the onions, and the taco seasoning.
Use a wooden spoon or spatula to break up the ground beef, and cook until no pink remains. Remove from heat, and drain any excess grease.
After the tater tots bake, remove them from the oven and layer on the seasoned ground beef.
Sprinkle on the shredded cheese and remaining onions. Return the pan back to the oven just long enough to allow the cheese to melt.
Add your favorite toppings and serve hot!
What do you put on top of tater tots?
Since we made these tater tot nachos with ground beef, we tend to add taco toppings. However, you can add whatever you like to your totchos. Here are a few ideas:
- Diced Tomatoes
- Sour Cream
- Diced Avocados
- Diced Onions
- Black Olives
- Green Chiles
- Cheese Sauce
- Pico de Gallo
Do you have to use ground beef on tater tot nachos?
Another option is to leave the meat off and go vegetarian or vegan. Load the totchos up with tons of veggies and a meat substitute.
Can you use fried tater tots instead of baked tater tots?
Sure! Fried tater tots would work well. Be sure to drain them on paper towels before adding the other ingredients.
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 1 (32 Ounce) Package Frozen Tater Tots
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1 (1 Ounce) Packet Taco Seasoning
- ½ Cup White Onions, diced and divided
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Bake the tater tots on a large baking sheet according to the package directions. While the tater tots bake, prepare the ground beef.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef, taco seasoning, and half the onions. Cook until the ground beef is cooked through and no longer pink. Drain any excess grease.
- After the tater tots finish baking, layer the ground beef in an even layer over the tots. Top with the shredded cheese. Place the pan back in the oven just long enough for the cheese to melt.
- Once the cheese melts, remove from the pan from the oven, and add the remaining onions and any additional toppings. Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 cup of tater tot nachos. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 357mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 15g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.