This tomato basil pasta is a simple recipe that uses fresh basil, garlic, and tomatoes to create a pasta dinner everyone will love!
Wow, it’s hard to believe we shared this recipe over 3 years ago. It’s just one of many pasta recipes we have on the site.
Whether you prefer a loaded sauce like pasta primavera or a light one, like our garlic butter sauce, we’ve got you covered. Today, we’re going to revisit this rustic tomato basil pasta. It’s too delicious not to update.
Now, the recipe was perfect just the way it was, so we didn’t change it. All we did was update the photos and the post.
If you haven’t tried this one, then I encourage to make it tonight. The recipe is done in about 30-minutes. So, shall we get started, again?
How to make tomato basil pasta with cherry tomatoes:
First, start by boiling the pasta noodles per the package instructions. If you feel confident, you can make the sauce while the noodles boil. Otherwise, continue the recipe once the pasta has cooked.
Next, place a medium sautÃ© pan over low-medium heat. Pour in the olive oil and let it warm up for 30-45 seconds.
Afterward, toss in the cherry tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Stir the mixture as it cooks for 8-10 minutes.
Now, go ahead and add the minced garlic. While stirring, let the sauce cook for another 30-seconds.
Then, sprinkle in the fresh basil and pour in the broth. Increase the heat to medium.
The sauce needs to simmer for 3-5 minutes to reduce the liquid. Once it has thickened, turn off the heat.
Last, transfer the sauce to the cooked and drained noodles. Toss the pasta with the sauce to coat the noodles.
Serve immediately. That’s it, your tomato basil garlic pasta is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best 🙂
Tomato Basil Pasta Recipe Tips and FAQs:
- When it comes to boiling pasta noodles, I always salt the water. Usually, I add about 1-2 tablespoons of salt (depending on how much pasta I’m making). Doing so, adds extra flavor to pasta.
- If you use vegetable broth, then this pasta dinner is vegetarian. However, using chicken broth (instead of vegetable) will add a ton of flavor to your pasta.
- To keep the noodles from drying out (while cooking the sauce), drain the pasta, then add about 1-inch of lukewarm water back the pan. Place the noodles in the pan to rest. When the sauce is done, drain the noodles again and toss them with sauce.
Does basil or parsley go on pasta?
Ordinarily, in the United States, we use basil in our pasta recipes. However, you could garnish the dish with fresh parsley just before serving.
Can you put basil in pasta?
Absolutely, in fact, I encourage you to do so. It’s a delicious ingredient and pairs wonderfully with tomatoes. You can add it when cooking the sauce or sprinkle it on top of the pasta just before serving.
Other pasta recipes you may love:
- Bow Tie Crab Pasta Salad
- Shrimp and Pasta Recipe
- Instant Pot Pizza Pasta
- One Pot Garlic Parmesan Pasta
- Mexican Spaghetti
- 8 Ounces Dry Pasta Noodles (any variety)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 16 Ounces Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Garlic, (minced)
- 4 Tablespoons Fresh Basil, (chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt, Add more to taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper, Add more to taste
- Start by cooking your pasta. Salt the water liberally. While the pasta cooks you can make the sauce.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Once the oil is warm, add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper and let them cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the basil and broth. Increase the heat to medium and let the mixture to simmer for approximately 3 to 5 minutes to reduce the liquid.
- Drain the pasta noodles and add them to the pan sauce. Toss the noodles in the sauce to coat them evenly.
- Serve immediately. Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 3 days.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 2-ounces of the tomato basil pasta. Actual calories will vary. For more information and tips, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 Ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 181mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.