This recipe for Pasta with Peas is creamy, comforting, and easy to make. Made with sour cream, bacon, and parmesan cheese, and finished in less than 45 minutes, you can have a delicious family dinner on the table that everyone will love!
Pasta with Peas
There’s nothing like a comforting pasta dish. Especially one that is as easy to make as this pasta with peas and bacon. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have a creamy, delicious pasta dish that the whole family will love.
Our pasta with peas recipe starts by cooking the bacon in a pot until nice and crispy. Remove the bacon and cook down the aromatic garlic and onion before adding chicken broth to cook the pasta until al dente.
Once the liquid is drained, the creamy sauce is created by adding sour cream, mayo, and parmesan cheese. Toss in the bacon and you’ve got a pasta dish that is ready to serve!
It only takes about 45 minutes to make this comforting dish, making it the perfect meal for a busy weeknight. Serve it up with quick cheesy garlic bread or a cucumber tomato salad and you’ve got a meal that is sure to please!
How To Make Creamy Pasta with Peas and Bacon
- Cook the bacon, garlic, and onion: In a large heavy-bottomed pot or deep skillet, add the chopped bacon over low-medium heat. Cook until crispy and tender, then remove the bacon while reserving two tablespoons of the grease in the pot. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent. Then add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the peas and broth: To the pot, add the frozen peas along with the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cook the pasta: Once the chicken broth is boiling, add the pasta and cook until it reaches an al dente texture. Drain out the liquid, reserving ½ cup of pasta water and remove the pasta from the heat.
- Add the creamy sauce: To the pasta, add the sour cream, mayonnaise, and parmesan cheese. Stir until fully incorporated, then add the chopped bacon and stir until combined.
- Garnish and serve: Top with freshly chopped chives and additional parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- If needed, use the ½ cup of pasta water to help create the perfect creamy texture to the sauce.
- Add your garlic last as it has a tendency to burn if cooked too long. This could make it too bitter.
- You’ll want to use a short pasta for this dish as it will best absorb the flavors of the peas and bacon. You can use shells, orecchiette, rotini, or farfalle pasta in this recipe.
- If you want a thicker sauce, add an additional tablespoon of mayonnaise to the pasta.
- If you’re not a fan of sour cream, you can substitute it with Greek yogurt.
- Instead of pork bacon, try using turkey bacon to lighten up the dish.
- Add in a can of rinsed and drained white beans for an extra boost of vegetarian protein.
- Add a cup of frozen corn to the mixture for some added sweetness and crunch.
- Serve with a dollop of pesto on top for an extra burst of flavor.
- Add cooked proteins such as ham, chicken, or shrimp to the pasta for a heartier dish.
- If you have any leftover vegetables in your fridge, add them to this pasta dish for a fun and easy way to use them up.
- Stir in some freshly chopped herbs such as parsley, thyme, or basil for a boost of flavor.
Yes, you can use fresh peas if you’d like. Cook them in the pot with the pasta and chicken broth for about two minutes before proceeding with the recipe.
Yes, you can make this pasta dish gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta as long as it’s short-grain pasta. Cooking times will vary depending on the type of pasta you use.
Storing and Freezing
Storing: To store any leftover pasta, add it to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to four days.
Freezing: To freeze this pasta, add it to a freezer-safe bag or container and store it in the freezer for up to two months. When you’re ready to eat, thaw out the pasta in the fridge overnight and reheat it in the microwave or on the stove.
- ½ pound bacon, chopped
- ½ white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 12 ounces uncooked conchiglie (medium shells) pasta
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the bacon in a 3-quart pot or deep skillet until crispy. Strain it from the pan and set aside.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the grease from the pan. Adjust the heat to low-medium, and add the onion.
- Cook until the onion becomes translucent. Then add the garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until the garlic becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken broth and peas and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, and add the pasta noodles.
- Cook for about 8 minutes or until the pasta reaches the desired consistency.
- Drain the liquid from the pan, and remove from heat. Stir in the sour cream, mayonnaise and parmesan cheese until fully melted. Add the bacon, and stir until well combined.
- Serve with freshly chopped chives and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese if desired.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 2 cups of pasta. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
*Photos courtesy of Karla Rae Photography.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 672Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 1759mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 33g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.