Kielbasa and sauerkraut is a family favorite made with scrumptious kielbasa sausage and tart sauerkraut. From pot to table in less than an hour!
Oh man, I’m excited to share today’s kielbasa and sauerkraut recipe. This is a combination I grew up eating and still make it on regular basis.
In case you were wondering, kielbasa sausage is common here in the States and is seasoned with caraway seeds. Sauerkraut, as you probably already know, is fermented cabbage.
When the two are combined, you get a meal that tickles the taste buds and satisfies your cravings for savory and sour.
Best of all, it doesn’t take long to prepare. Now, we’re using a pressure cooker, but you can still do this on your stove-top.
I’ll provide some stove-top instructions below. Let’s get started!
Kielbasa ans Sauerkraut Instructions:
First, grab your ingredients. Measure out the water, slice your sausage into one (1) inch circles, and open your sauerkraut.
For this recipe, we used canned sauerkraut. However, I recommend making your own homemade version.
If your curious how to make homemade sauerkraut, click the link and it will take you to my recipe found on our sister-site More Than Meat and Potatoes.
Next, turn your pressure cooker on to the saute function and add the oil. Afterward, dump in the kielbasa and let it cook for a few minutes on each side.
I like mine with crispy edges. Now, remove it from the pot and add the water.
Then, get to scraping. Because, you want to loosen up all that flavor from the bottom of the pan.
Once it’s properly de-glazed, add the sauerkraut.
At this point, you can put the kielbasa sausage back into your cooker and seal it. Move the valve to, “closed,” and set the Instant Pot cook time to zero (0).
Once the timer goes off, let it preform a, “natural release.” Last, after the ten (10) minutes are up, your kielbasa and sauerkraut is done.
The only difference is that you omit (remove) the oil and water from the recipe. In a large pot, saute the kielbasa for few minutes to crisp it up.
After that, toss in the sauerkraut (with juices) for three (3) to four (4) minutes, or until it’s hot. Believe it or not, you’re already done. Truth is, it’s actually faster to do it this way.
Kielbasa and Sauerkraut Tips:
- I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to deglaze your pressure cooker when making this recipe. Seriously, if you skip this step, you will most likely get a burn notice. Don’t skip it, just don’t!
- Want add more flavor to the recipe? Then consider swapping out the water with low-sodium chicken or beef stock.
- Love kielbasa but not a fan sauerkraut, then take a look at our creamy kielbasa pasta for a quick and easy dinner option. Or try our Crockpot Pierogi and Kielbasa Casserole for an almost hands-off dinner.
- How do you take the bitterness out of sauerkraut? If you’re serious about removing all that awesome tartness, then simply add one (1) to two (2) teaspoons of sugar to the recipe before cooking the sauerkraut.
Don’t forget to check out our Instant Pot Kielbasa and Sauerkraut web story!
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1 Lb. Kielbasa Sausage (heat serve variety, sliced)
- 29 Ounces Sauerkraut (two (2) cans, un-drained)
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Turn the Instant Pot onto saute, and allow the liner to get hot. Add oil and sausage pieces (work in batches if necessary).
- Cook until sausage is browned on both sides (about three (3)-five (5) minutes each side).
- Remove sausage pieces from Instant Pot and carefully add water making sure not to splash any grease. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the bits from the bottom of liner (de-glaze the pot!!). Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Pour the sauerkraut into the liner, and top with cooked sausage pieces.
- Close the lid and set the valve to sealing. Use the manual (pressure cook) button to adjust the time to zero (0) minutes. The timer will go off as soon as the Instant Pot comes to pressure. Allow the Instant Pot to complete a natural release for ten (10) minutes before opening the valve to release any remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and stir the contents. Serve hot.