Instant Pot Potato Salad makes an easy side dish for potlucks, picnics, and barbecues. It's full of all the classic ingredients like potatoes, eggs, onions, and a savory mayonnaise dressing only it's prepared in less time.
Potato salad is classic dish that's popular during the Spring and Summer months. It's well-loved in Southern states and makes an appearance at most barbecues, picnics, church luncheons, and get togethers.
We are also fans of a good potato salad from time to time, but don't usually take the time to make it. However, after making Instant Pot Macaroni Salad I thought I'd try eggs and potatoes in the Instant Pot for potato salad.
We paired up a family recipe with the macaroni salad recipe for this dish. It worked, and in my opinion, this way is much faster than boiling potatoes and eggs on the stove top.
All that's left to do is assemble everything, making sure to add your favorite ingredients of course, and enjoy!
Instant Pot potato salad recipe:
Start by making sure the potatoes are washed, dried, and cut into uniform pieces about an inch in size.
You can leave the peels on or take them off. It's up to you.
Place the potatoes into a large steamer basket that is safe for use in the pressure cooker. This is the steamer basket we use.
It has a silicone handle and is really easy to grip and remove from the Instant Pot liner.
Meanwhile, pour the water into the stainless steel insert of Instant Pot, then add the steamer basket of potatoes. Lay the 4 eggs directly on top of the potatoes.
Close the lid to the Instant Pot (check to make sure the seal is in the lid and properly placed), set the valve to the "sealing" position, then press the manual (pressure cook) button.
Adjust the time to 5 minutes. Now is a great time to make the dressing.
It can also be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use.
In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle juice, mustard, salt, and pepper. Whisk until smooth.
Place the dressing in the refrigerator until you're ready to add it to the potatoes and eggs.
After the time us on the Instant Pot, allow it to complete a natural release for 5 minutes before opening the valve to release the remaining pressure.
Use tongs to remove the eggs to an ice bath. Allow the eggs to remain in the ice bath until they're able to be easily handled and peeled.
Peel the eggs and chop them into the desired size.
Place the cooked potatoes onto a large plate or a baking sheet in an even layer. This helps them cool faster.
I like to let the potatoes cool so they won't heat the mayo up when everything is mixed. My son is terrified of getting food poisoning and won't eat the potato salad if the potatoes aren't cold before everything is stirred together.
However, I know plenty of people that like to mix the ingredients while the potatoes are slightly warm. The choice is yours.
After the potatoes cool (if you choose this method), transfer them to a large bowl, then add the eggs, onions, and dressing. Toss to coat.
The potato salad tastes best after its been refrigerated for several hours or overnight. That gives the flavors time to blend and absorb into the potatoes.
However, if you can't wait, grab a fork and dig in!
- Green or Red Onion
- Sour Cream (considering reducing the mayo if you add sour cream)
- Caraway Seed or Celery Seed
- Fresh Jalapeno or Bell Peppers
- Relish or Sweet Pickles
- Smoked Paprika or Regular Paprika for garnish
Storage and Freezing:
Potato salad should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and is good for 3 to 4 days. It needs to be chilled quickly due to mayonnaise in the recipe and should not be left at room temperature for long periods of time.
We do not recommend freezing potato salad. As it thaws, the consistency changes and it can become soupy and mushy.
However, we do recommend making this dish the day prior to an event (picnic, potluck, barbecue, etc.). Refrigerate the potato salad immediately and leave a little dressing on the side to freshen it up the following day.
Instant Pot potato salad is a great "make ahead" recipe. On the flip side, it can be whipped it in a time crunch.
Other Instant Pot recipes you may love:
- Instant Pot Macaroni Salad
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
- Instant Pot Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 2 ½ pounds russet potatoes, about 6 medium potatoes, washed, peeled, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoons dill pickle juice, or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup white onion, finely chopped; about 1 small onion
- Place the diced potatoes into a large steamer basket or a container that will easily hold all the potatoes and is safe to use in the pressure cooker. Set aside.2 ½ pounds russet potatoes
- Pour the water into the stainless steel insert of the Instant Pot. Transfer the steamer basket of potatoes into the Instant Pot, and place the 4 eggs directly on top of the potatoes. Close the lid, set the valve to "sealing", and press the manual (pressure cook) button. Adjust the time to 5 minutes.1 cup water4 large eggs
- While the potatoes and eggs cook, make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, pickle juice, mustard, salt, and pepper. Set in the refrigerator until ready to use.1 ¼ cups mayonnaise1 ½ tablespoons dill pickle juice1 tablespoon yellow mustardSalt and pepper
- After the time is up on the Instant Pot, allow the pressure cooker to complete a natural pressure release for 5 minutes before opening the valve for a quick release of the remaining pressure. Use tongs to remove the eggs to an ice bath for 4-5 minutes. Meanwhile, spread the potatoes out onto a large plate or baking sheet to cool.
- Remove the shells from the eggs, and chop them into the desired size. Transfer the pieces to a large bowl. Add the cooled potatoes, onions, and dressing. Toss to coat, and top with chives, smoked paprika, green onions, cheese, or your other favorite toppings.½ cup white onion
- Chill any leftover potato salad in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.