*This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a small commission from the sale if you purchase from the affiliate link.
*Sponsored Post: This post is sponsored by truRoots but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Looking for an easy and delicious weeknight meal idea? Then try our sausage and veggie stir fry over quinoa. It’s a healthier twist on a classic stir-fry!
Weeknights can be hectic and trying to feed your family a health-conscious meal is a challenge. Sure, you could round everybody up and drag them out for dinner at a restaurant, but then there’s no real way to know what you’re eating. If you cook at home, then at least you know what you’re feeding your loved ones.
In keeping with that theme, we decided to share a quick and delicious dish with a healthy twist. You might be wondering, what’s so healthy about sausage. Well, while it’s not chicken or fish, we did choose an organic version of smoked sausage, along with organic frozen vegetables.
Also, because we picked a fattier protein, we didn’t have to add any additional cooking oil. Furthermore, the natural flavor and spices used in curing the sausage served as our seasoning blend. That means, no extra nitrates or anti-clotting chemicals found in most commercial seasoning blends.
Instead of white rice, which has little to no nutritional value beyond being a carbohydrate, we substituted truRoots Organic Sprouted Quinoa Trio. It’s a filling combination of three kinds of quinoa. As the package shows, quinoa has carbohydrates, fiber, and protein. I encourage you to go to Target and give truRoots a try, especially since there is a Cartwheel deal going on right now.
Getting back to the dish, the sausage, and chicken broth flavor everything perfectly. I didn’t need to use any salt or soy sauce. However, I understand that people have different tastes, so I went ahead and added a note on the recipe card about adding salt and pepper to taste.
Honestly, though, I don’t think the dish needed any further seasonings. To keep the healthy twist, we used organic chicken broth. Check at your local Target to see if they carry the other organic ingredients. Using all-natural products gives you that extra peace of mind.
As a father, nothing is scarier than watching your little one put food in his or her mouth from some unknown source. So, I encourage you to try your hardest to make sure every meal they eat is clean and healthy. In closing, I wish everyone a long life, love everlasting, and tummy full of quinoa.
Like this recipe? You may also like one of these:
- Time Saving Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers
- Easy Gluten Free Southwest Style Quiche
- Copycat Classic Diner Chef Salad
- Veggie Lover’s Mushroom Omelet
Sausage and Veggie Stir Fry Over Quinoa
- 3/4 Lb. Smoked Sausage (organic)
- 1 10 Ounce Bag of Frozen Mixed Vegetables (organic)
- 1 Cup truRoots Dry Sprouted Quinoa Trio (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth
- First, begin by cooking the quinoa per the bag instructions, but substitute chicken broth for water. The instructions are simple to follow and only require you to bring the broth to a boil. Afterward, add the quinoa, cover the pan, reduce the heat, and let simmer for up to 12 minutes. Last, remove the quinoa from the heat and let it sit, covered, for an additional five minutes. Then fluff and serve.
- Next, while the quinoa cooks, cut your sausage into circular pieces, combine them with the frozen vegetables, and let the mixture cook in a large saute pan over medium-high heat for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Last, put 1/4 of the quinoa into a bowl and top it with 1/4 of the vegetables and sausage. Serve the dish while it’s hot and use salt and pepper to taste.