Valentine's Chex Cereal Bars are an easy, delicious Valentine's Day treat made with Corn Chex, Rice Chex, mini marshmallows, M&Ms, and Valentine's sprinkles. These bars are soft and gooey making them a great snack for friends and family to enjoy on Valentine’s Day.
These Chex Cereal Bars are a festive take on our Perfect Rice Krispie Treat recipe.
We swapped the Rice Krispie cereal with two kinds of Chex cereal, added some red, white, and pink M&Ms, and some cute Valentine sprinkles.
Our marshmallow bars are a great gift idea or an adorable treat for a child's class party. They take less than 45 minutes to make and are even more fun to eat!
How to Make Valentine's Chex Cereal Bars:
Scroll to the recipe card below for ingredient amounts and full instructions.
These cereal bars come together in about 45 minutes and are so easy to make. Let the kids help add the M&Ms and sprinkles at the end for a fun, family activity!
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a large pan.
- Set 1 cup of marshmallows aside, and place the remaining marshmallows, vanilla, and salt in the pan. Stir until the marshmallows melt.
- Make sure the heat is set to the lowest setting, and stir in the cereal.
- Remove the pan from heat, and combine the remaining 1 cup of marshmallows and some of the M&Ms into the melted marshmallow mixture.
- Transfer the Chex mixture to the greased pan and gently press it into place. Add the remaining M&Ms and Valentine's sprinkles.
- Let the cereal treats set for about 30 minutes. Cut and enjoy!
Tips for Success:
- Use Valentine's M&Ms to make your Chex marshmallow bars even more festive for Valentine’s Day!
- Measure out all the ingredients ahead of time so none of the ingredients burn while you make the bars.
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper or foil before adding the cereal mixture, this will prevent sticking and ensure easy removal from the pan.
- For extra chewy gooey goodness, add an additional ¼ cup of marshmallows!
- Make sure to mix everything evenly so that each bite is perfectly balanced with sweet marshmallows and crunchy cereal pieces.
- If you want a sugary glaze on top, melt white chocolate chips or chocolate wafers in a bowl before drizzling them over your cereal bars!
- After sprinkling Valentine's sprinkles on top, let them cool completely before cutting them into squares or hearts shapes using a sharp knife or cookie cutter!
Room Temperature: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 4 to 5 days.
Freezer: We do not recommend freezing.
Can You Use Marshmallow Creme?
Sure! Swap out 10 ounces of mini marshmallows with 3 cups of marshmallow creme/fluff.
Can You Use Wheat Chex?
Absolutely! Our recipe calls for 6 cups of Chex cereal. Use any combination of Chex that you like.
Wheat Chex is smaller in size than Corn or Rice Chex, so it may take a tad more but it's doable.
Can You Use Regular-Sized Marshmallows Instead of Mini Marshmallows?
Definitely, but you won't have the extra mini marshmallows to stir in when you add the cereal. All the marshmallows will be added to the melted butter.
If you decide to use regular-sized marshmallows, you'll need 40 to replace the 10 ounces of mini marshmallows.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows, divided
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 3 cups Corn Chex
- 1 ¼ cups Valentine’s M&Ms
- 2 tablespoons Valentine sprinkles, optional
- Grease a 9×13-inch pan with butter or cooking spray then set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over low heat.3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Set 1 cup of marshmallows aside, and place the remaining marshmallows, vanilla, and salt in the pan with butter. Stir constantly until the marshmallows melt.1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Stir in the cereal then remove from heat. Add the remaining 1 cup of marshmallows and ¾ cup of M&Ms.3 cups Rice Chex3 cups Corn Chex
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and gently pat into place. Add the remaining ½ cup of M&Ms and Valentine sprinkles.2 tablespoons Valentine sprinkles
- Let the Chex bars set for 30 minutes then cut and enjoy!
- Scroll up and see post for tips, FAQs, and storage options.