These fun and M&M Cookies are soft and moist with a rich chocolatey flavor and pop of rainbow candy color. They are easy to make and loved by both kids and adults!
Soft M&M Cookies Recipe
Who doesn't love the taste of M&M's? This classic chocolate candy is a favorite among many and adding them to cookies just takes them to the next level. The colorful candy coating is not only pretty to look at, but it also adds a fun crunch with each bite!
These cookies have a texture that is similar to a bakery-style cookie. They are thick and dense with a melt-in-your-mouth texture that will keep you coming back for more.
The simple cookie dough is made with both brown and white sugar along with a hint of corn starch to get it just right. Fold in colorful M&M's and you've got a cookie that's a hit for any occasion!
Whether you are making them for a holiday, birthday, or just because, these M&M cookies are sure to be a hit with everyone who tries them. So, let's get baking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The ingredients are simple and can be found in any grocery store.
- The texture is soft, moist, and dense making a bakery-style cookie right at home.
- The colorful addition of M&M's adds a fun color and chocolatey crunch.
- Change up the color of the candy to match any occasion.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Unsalted Butter - Used as the fat in this cookie recipe, butter gives the base of the cookie a rich taste and moist texture.
- White & Brown Sugar - The combination of these two sugars gives the cookie a sweet flavor along with a perfect texture.
- Vanilla Extract - Adds a warming hint of vanilla flavor to the cookies.
- Egg - Binds all of the ingredients together and helps them set as they bake.
- All-Purpose Flour - Adds structure to the cookies and mixes well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Baking Soda - Helps the cookies rise just slightly.
- Cornstarch - helps the texture of the cookies be soft and moist.
- Salt - Balances out the sweetness of the cookies.
- Plain M&M's - Of course, these are the key ingredient! You can use any color or flavor of M&M's that you like. We used plain chocolate M&M's in this recipe.
How To Make Cookies with M&M's
- Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together: In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to combine butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Beat on low speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla until combined. Set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients: In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt until fully combined.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients: Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, or an electric mixer on low speed, mix until ingredients are almost combined, a few flour streaks here and there are fine.
- Fold in the candy and chill: Fold in the M&Ms until evenly distributed, Then, transfer the dough to the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Bake the cookies: After the dough has been chilled, scoop 2 tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet and space each at least 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies begin to set around the edges and appear soft in the center.
- Cool and serve: Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy slightly warm or at room temperature.
M&M Cookies Tips
- When mixing the wet and dry ingredients together, be sure to not overwork the dough as this will result in tough cookies.
- The dough can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for 2-4 days. Just scoop and bake as desired.
- It's important to make sure you chill the dough for at least 30 minutes as this will help prevent the cookies from spreading too much while baking.
- To keep the cookies soft and moist, do not overbake. The cookies are done when they are just set around the edges and appear soft in the center.
- A medium-sized cookie scoop, similar to Pampered Chef brand, is a great option for scooping these cookies.
- Add peanut butter, butterscotch, or chocolate chips along with the M&M's to make them extra sweet.
- Dress them up for a birthday party by adding your favorite sprinkles to the cookie dough.
- Add a nutty crunch by folding in your favorite chopped nuts including almonds, walnuts, or pecans.
- Use mint M&M's and add a teaspoon of peppermint extract to the dough for festive holiday cookies.
Storing and Freezing
Storing: These cookies are best enjoyed within a few days but can be stored in an airtight container on the countertop for 5-6 days.
Freezing: M&M cookie dough can also be frozen! Freeze the cookie dough by scooping it onto a baking sheet and then transferring it to the freezer. Once frozen, place the cookies in a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to two months. When ready to bake, remove from the freezer and bake as directed. You may need to add an extra minute or two to the baking time since they will be frozen.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup plain M&Ms
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to combine butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Beat on low speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes.8 tablespoons unsalted butter½ cup granulated sugar¼ cup light brown sugar
- Add the egg and vanilla until combined. Set aside.1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract1 large egg
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch and salt. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.1 ½ cup all-purpose flour1 teaspoon baking soda1 teaspoon cornstarch¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Mix until ingredients are almost combined, a few flour streaks here and there are fine.
- Stir in the M&Ms, and transfer the dough to the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.¾ cup plain M&Ms
- Scoop 2 tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet and space each at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies begin to set around the edges and appear soft in the center. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy slightly warm or at room temperature. See post for storage options.