Coffee with Kahlua is a warm and creamy coffee drink made with your favorite creamer and Kahlua Coffee Liqueur. It's completely customizable and the perfect drink to enjoy on a chilly day wrapped up in your favorite blanket.
Coffee and Kahlua was one of my first homemade hot coffee drinks. It's made with simple ingredients and comes together in about 10 minutes.
It makes a delicious coffee cocktail for your next weekend brunch, a boozy dessert drink option, or an easy after-dinner drink.
There are so many ways to enjoy this drink. Our favorite way is with freshly brewed coffee, but iced coffee also tastes amazing!
However you decide to make it, this recipe is perfect for coffee lovers!
What is Coffee with Kahlua?
Coffee with Kahlua is a simple recipe featuring freshly brewed coffee, a shot of Kahlua liqueur, a drizzle of cream or milk, and sweetener of your choice.
It's warm, cozy and a wonderful drink for a cold night.
Ingredients You'll Need:
- Coffee: Use your favorite brand and variety of coffee.
- Dairy and Sweetener: Any type of dairy (whole milk, half and half, heavy cream, or coffee creamer) works. If desired, add your favorite sweetener.
How to Make Coffee with Kahlua:
Check out the recipe card below for ingredient amounts and full instructions!
You'll need a coffee maker, about 10-15 minutes, and a handful of ingredients to make this easy recipe.
- Brew your favorite coffee.
- Pour in the Kahlua, creamer, and sweetener into mug. Add the hot coffee.
- Stir to combine, and enjoy immediately!
Tips and Variations:
- Choose your favorite coffee. Whether it's instant coffee, iced, or freshly brewed, any type works for this recipe.
- Add Irish cream! A shot of Bailey's Irish Cream makes this a creamy and decadent treat with an Irish cream twist.
- Make it dairy-free. Swap the dairy with a non-dairy creamer, coconut cream, or a non-dairy milk alternative.
- Turn this drink into dessert. Swirl a fun glass with chocolate syrup, swap the hot coffee with iced coffee, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and top with a dollop of whipped cream for the ultimate dessert!
- Adjust the amounts. Add as much or as little Kahlua, creamer or milk, and sweetener as you like!
This coffee cocktail should be enjoyed immediately. Storage isn't recommended.
What is Kahlua?
Kahlua is a brand of coffee liqueur made with Arabica coffee beans, rum, and sugar. It has an ABV (alcohol by volume) of 20%.
Since Kahlua is made with coffee, it does contain caffeine and has a rich, sweet flavor.
Over the years new flavors have been added to the Kahlua product line. Here are a few:
- Mint Mocha.
- Vanilla Coffee Liqueur.
- Blonde Roast Style.
- Salted Caramel.
Does Kahlua taste good with coffee?
Yes, Kahlua tastes great with coffee! It may sound silly to add coffee liqueur to hot or iced coffee, but it works.
Kahlua adds a slightly different coffee flavor due to the added rum and sugar. Plus, it's sweet, so that's a wonderful contrast to black coffee.
Can you use flavored coffee?
Sure! Most flavored coffees work well. Hazelnut, pumpkin spice, crème brûlée, and Irish cream all complement a wide variety of Kahlua flavors.
Like This Recipe?
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 8 ounces freshly brewed coffee
- ½ to 1 ounce Kahlua coffee liqueur
- 1 ounce milk, cream, half and half, or coffee creamer (optional; adjust to taste)
- Sweetener of your choice, (optional; adjust to taste)
- Brew the coffee.8 ounces freshly brewed coffee
- Pour the Kahlua, milk, and sweetener in a large coffee mug.½ to 1 ounce Kahlua coffee liqueur1 ounce milk
- Add the brewed coffee, and stir to combine.
- Enjoy immediately! Scroll up and see the post for tips, FAQs, and variations.