A warm and cheesy, 4-ingredient Frito pie recipe featuring everyone's favorite corn chips smothered in chili and cheese!
With temperatures in the 20's, it's safe to say Winter is in full swing. So, why not make something hot and filling for dinner?
It's not often that you see a dish featuring corn chips as one of the main ingredients. For today's recipe, we're sharing a household favorite, corn chips covered in spicy chili, gooey cheese, and sweet onions.
It's Kim's Frito pie recipe and it's the perfect dish for a cold Winter day.
One of the great things about this recipe is that it's done in about 20-minutes.
Quick and easy, something we all need during these hectic holidays. So, shall we get started?
How do you make a Frito pie from scratch?
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. and grab a large baking dish (2 quart or 9x13-inch).
Next, pour 4-cups of Frito's corn chips into the baking dish. Spread them out across the bottom of the pan.
After that, open your can(s) of chili and pour them over the corn chips. You'll need 3-cups of chili, in total.
Then, sprinkle 6-ounces of shredded cheddar cheese (or any cheese of your liking) over the chili.
Afterward, place the dish into your oven to bake (uncovered) for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the chili is hot.
Last, remove the pie from your oven, top with diced onions, and serve it while the dish is hot.
That's it, your Frito pie recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best 🙂
Recipe Tips and FAQ's:
- When it comes to chili, everyone has their own preferred type. We used a mixture of chili with beans and hot dog chili. Feel free to use any type you love.
- Cheese is another ingredient that can be substituted. Kim and I wanted cheddar, so that's what we used. However, you can use any kind you want.
- Also, keep in mind that any variety of corn chip can be used. For example, this recipe works with tortilla chips too.
How long does Frito pie last?
If stored in a sealed container, in your fridge, Frito pie will last up to 3-days.
Can I freeze Frito pie?
Absolutely, you can freeze this Frito pie. When properly stored in your freezer, it should hold for up to 2-months.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 4 cups corn chips, Frito's Brand
- 3 cups chili, canned with or without beans
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded off the block
- ¼ cup white onion, finely diced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Layer the chips onto the bottom of a baking dish. Top the chips with the chili, and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the chili.4 cups corn chips3 cups chili6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the chili is hot.
- Remove from the oven, and top with onions. Serve immediately.¼ cup white onion
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.