A margherita grilled cheese sandwich with perfectly toasted sourdough and all the flavors of the famous pizza including basil, mozzarella, and tomatoes.
In keeping with our theme of grilled cheese for the month of April, this recipe has all the flavors of a Pizza Margherita slapped between two pieces of grilled sourdough bread.
Margherita is one of my favorite styles of pizza. It’s simple and full of fresh ingredients blended perfectly on a chewy crust.
In fact, the first time Kim and I went out to eat at an Italian restaurant; I ordered that pizza. So, it’s safe to say I am somewhat attached to this sandwich.
As always with my recipes, simplicity is the primary goal. I feel many people are intimidated by cooking a complicated meal. Furthermore, they can easily be turned off by a long set of ingredients or instructions.
However, if you start off with easy dishes, then you can build the confidence needed to tackle those special recipes. Think of it this way, when you first started learning as a child, you probably began with your ABC’s, right?
It would be foolish to try and teach a kindergartner complex sentences without him or her knowing the basics. Begin with a solid foundation, then move on to adding the framework.
Cooking is no different in that aspect. A new cook should start with small recipes to build confidence and gain experience and knowledge.
Take for example our ham and beans dish. It’s a simple, tasty recipe that’s perfect for new cooks.
Hopefully, my methods can help someone out there who is learning to cook. From there, they can seek more challenging meals once they get comfortable in their skill set.
As always, let me leave you with these wishes, a long life, love everlasting, a full belly of easy and delicious eats!
How to make a margherita grilled cheese:
Preparing a margherita grilled cheese is pretty straightforward. First, wash and dry your basil leaves and tomato. Try to use six to eight large fresh basil leaves.
You can create a flavorful protective layer between the bread and the tomato slices to prevent soggy bread. Next, cut the mozzarella and tomato into 1/4 inch or 6 mm thin slices.
After that, melt the butter in your microwave. Then, preheat your skillet or pan over medium heat.
While the pan heats, coat the outside slices of sourdough bread with melted butter. Then, sprinkle the Italian seasonings on the buttered bread.
Now, begin building the margherita grilled cheese. Start with bread, then basil, tomato slices, salt, mozzarella cheese, and finally top with another slice of buttered bread.
Place the sandwich into the preheated skillet and cover it with a lid. Let it cook on medium heat for approximately three to five minutes on each side.
Go ahead and check the bread from time to time to make sure everything is crisping up nicely. Once the grilled cheese has been cooked on each side, remove it from the pan and serve it immediately.
The recipe makes two margherita grilled cheese sandwiches, and the taste is almost an exact copy of my favorite pizza. I hope you enjoy!
Other grilled cheese sandwich recipes you may enjoy:
- Bacon Grilled Cheese
- Pear and Brie Grilled Cheese
- Supreme Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Cheeseburger Grilled Cheese
- 3 Ounces Mozzarella, Sliced
- 1 Large Beefsteak Tomato, Sliced
- 6 to 8 Leaves Fresh Basil, Washed and Dried
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Italian Seasonings
- 1 Tablespoon Butter, Melted
- 4 Slices Sourdough Bread
- First, wash and dry the basil and tomato.
- Next, slice the mozzarella and tomato into 1/4 inch or 6 mm slices.
- Then, melt the butter in your microwave in a microwave safe dish.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet or pan on medium heat.
- After that, brush the outside slices of sourdough bread with the melted butter and sprinkle the Italian seasonings on the buttered bread.
- Once the bread is ready, build the grilled cheese sandwiches starting with the bread, then basil, tomato slices, mozzarella, and then top with another slice of buttered bread.
- Place the sandwich into the preheated skillet, cover the pan with a lid, and cook everything on medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, checking regularly.
- Once the sourdough is nicely toasted, remove from the heat and serve it while it's still warm.
This recipe makes two sandwiches. They can be served with chips and salsa, soup, or any other side dish you want to eat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 Sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 544Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 1352mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 24g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.