*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Our grown-up bacon grilled cheese takes your old fashioned grilled cheese and dresses it up with bacon, brie, muenster, and mozzarella cheeses.
April was National Grilled Cheese month, and while we are late to the party, we showed up with style.
For today’s dish, we decided to take your traditional grilled cheese sandwich and dress it up a little.
So, shall we get started?
Equipment Needed for Recipe:
How to make a bacon grilled cheese:
Making this grilled cheese is simple and doesn’t take long to prepare. I’ve included a few tips below the instructions.
- First, cook the bacon per the package instructions and set it aside.
- Next, slice your brie and mozzarella. After that, squish the cheese flat between your fingers. It will melt faster when cooking.
- Then, melt the butter in your microwave in a heat safe bowl.
- Preheat your skillet over medium heat. While the pan warms, take a basting brush and slather the butter on the outsides of each piece of bread. Now you can start building the sandwich.
- Start with bread, butter side down, then place one slice of Muenster, then add three (3) pieces of bacon. At that point, place the mozzarella and brie on top of the bacon.
- Now, top everything off with the other slice of bread, butter side up this time. The pan should be hot enough now. So, using a spatula, place the sandwich into the skillet.
- Last, let it cook for about four (4) to six (6) minutes on each side. Go ahead and push the sandwich down with your spatula as it cooks, so the cheese seals the bread slices together.
- Once everything is nice and browned on each side, remove the sandwich from the pan. Place it on a cutting board and slice it in half if you want. If not, put it on a plate and dig in!
- The oven is an excellent way to cook bacon because it keeps the bacon extra crispy and clean up is a breeze. Simply preheat the oven to 375 degrees F., place raw bacon on a sheet pan (preferably on an elevated rack), and bake for about twenty (20) minutes, or until desired doneness is reached.
- If you are worried the cheese isn’t melting well, then cover the skillet with a lid to steam the cheese.
- Not a fan of mozzarella or brie, that’s fine. Use any cheese you love. As long as you enjoy the grilled cheese, then that’s what matters!
Looking for a tasty side option?
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen and our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes!
Grown Up Bacon Grilled Cheese
- 4 Slices Sourdough Bread (or bread of your choice)
- 2 Slices Muenster (or cheese of your choice)
- 2 Ounces Mozzarella (cheese of your choice, sliced 56 grams)
- 1 Ounce Brie (cheese of your choice, sliced 28 grams)
- 6 Slices Bacon (cooked)
- 1 Tablespoon Butter (melted)
- Cook the bacon per the package instructions.
- Slice the mozzarella and brie. Fatten the cheeses out some, so they melt evenly.
- Melt the butter in your microwave.
- Preheat your skillet on medium heat.
- Bush the outsides of each slice of bread with melted butter.
- Then build the grilled cheese sandwich. Cook the sandwich in the preheated pan for approximately four (4) to six (6) minutes on each side.
- Remove the cooked sandwich and serve.