Our grown-up bacon grilled cheese takes your old fashioned grilled cheese and dresses it up with bacon, brie, muenster, and mozzarella cheeses.
April was National Grilled Cheese month, and while we are late to the party, we showed up with style. For today’s dish, we decided to take your traditional grilled cheese sandwich and dress it up a little.
How to make a bacon grilled cheese:
Making this grilled cheese is simple and doesn’t take long to prepare. I’ve included a few tips below the instructions.
First, cook the bacon per the package instructions and set it aside. Next, slice your brie and mozzarella.
After that, squish the cheese flat between your fingers. It will melt faster when cooking.
Then, melt the butter in your microwave in a heat safe bowl.
Preheat your skillet over medium heat. While the pan warms, take a basting brush and slather the butter on the outsides of each piece of bread.
Now you can start building the sandwich.
Start with bread, butter side down, then place one slice of Muenster, then add three pieces of bacon. At that point, place the mozzarella and brie on top of the bacon.
Now, top everything off with the other slice of bread, butter side up this time. The pan should be hot enough now.
So, using a spatula, place the sandwich into the skillet.
Last, let it cook for about four to six minutes on each side. Go ahead and push the sandwich down with your spatula as it cooks, so the cheese seals the bread slices together.
Once everything is nice and browned on each side, remove the sandwich from the pan. Place it on a cutting board and slice it in half if you want. If not, put it on a plate and dig in!
Bacon Grilled Cheese Tips:
- The oven is an excellent way to cook bacon because it keeps the bacon extra crispy and clean up is a breeze. Simply preheat the oven to 375°F, place raw bacon on a sheet pan (preferably on an elevated rack), and bake for about twenty minutes, or until desired doneness is reached.
- If you are worried the cheese isn’t melting well, then cover the skillet with a lid to steam the cheese.
- Not a fan of mozzarella or brie, that’s fine. Use any cheese you love. As long as you enjoy the grilled cheese, then that’s what matters!
You can serve it with homemade tortilla chips and salsa, soup, or whatever you desire. Kim and I hope you enjoy the grilled cheese and wish you all the best 🙂
Other grilled cheese recipes you may love:
- Grilled Brie and Pear Sandwich
- Grilled Cheese Margherita
- Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Grilled Cheese with Tomato and Onion
- Spicy Tomato Grilled Cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 ounce Brie, cut into small pieces
- 4 slices sourdough bread, or bread of your choice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 slices Muenster, or cheese of your choice
- Cook the bacon per the package instructions. Set aside6 slices bacon
- Slice the mozzarella and brie. Flatten the cheeses out some, so they melt evenly.2 ounces fresh mozzarella1 ounce Brie
- Preheat your skillet on medium heat. Bush the outsides of each slice of bread with melted butter.4 slices sourdough bread1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Then build the grilled cheese sandwich. Cook the sandwich in the preheated pan for approximately three to five minutes on each side.2 slices Muenster
- Remove the cooked sandwich and serve.